cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We finally decided to join the RV lifestyle!

Mrs_Rosas
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow RVers,

My husband and I are in our early 50's. I retired from the federal government early last year and he's still working. Although we are new to RVing, we are veteran tent campers with too many items that were meant to make our camping experience more fun and enjoyable. As a result, after our last, and I do mean "last", tent camping trip, we decided to make life easier for ourselves and buy an RV. This has been our dream. We had been looking around for a bit and had an idea of what we wanted. Being that this was going to be our first RV, we wanted a gently used RV that was reasonably priced. And we found her less than a month ago: a 2002 Fleetwood Tioga with a slide and less than 40,000 miles on it. We are so thrilled about our new toy and have decided start out slow by taking a couple of local trips until we get to know how everything works and how this Class C handles.

So what's my question? I have a lot and don't know where to start. I would certainly appreciate some ideas and thoughts from the veterans out there on #1) the absolutely have-to-buy-to-have-on-hand items and #2) what do we have to watch out for since this is an older model? Since we are having problems cranking up the generator without the help of the engine, we figure we'll probably have to replace the auxiliary batteries soon. That being the case, any recommendations on solar panels for when we are "dry camping" or is it called "boon docking?"

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get to know this coach and we certainly appreciate any and all valuable info. We'd like to benefit from your experiences. Appreciate your time and words.
24 REPLIES 24

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
You will probably find that the RV'ing community is very helpful to newbies.

I'm not sure if I was just fortunate or if it's commonplace, but I had two experienced guys who were semi to permanent RV dwellers give me several lessons on my basic systems. They claimed it was fun to help out beginners and didn't mind.

I suspect you will find many like that, so if you get in a bind, ask one of the more permanent looking set ups in whatever RV park you wind up in for advice. And I do recommend going to a park with full hook-ups at first.
Ray and Carol, Boxers Duke and Duchess
2013 Forrest River Rockwood Mini-Lite 22' trailer, with the Murphy bed.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
You have not had a comment on the generator so far. Being a 11-12 year old RV and in AZ. there s a good chance the hose from the fuel tank to the generator s brittle, cracked and letting air in rather than only gas. Rubber rots and ages more quickly in heat. You can try to start it with a short piece of good hose in a gas can. If it runs that way you know the hose is bad. The other rubber hoses in the RV should also be checked to prevent accidents on the road where they are expensive repairs. You also need to have the gas tank over 1/4 tank for the generator to draw gas. That is so you don't run out of gas while parked in a CG.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
welcome to the forum.
I'll tell you what. We filled the RV and now I'm trying to empty the RV as I certainly went overboard,

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
A few degrees below freezing should not cause damage, however if I am concerened and I havn't winterized if it gets dowm below high 20s I either turn the furance on or put in a space heater. Better to be safe than sorry.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
My rule of thumb -

Occupied trailer with electricity to run the heater.

Expected low temps no lower than 30 degrees - unhook water hose - drain - run on freshwater in the tank. Close grey water valve if open. This was in a trailer with exposed tanks and plumbing. But I still do that in my enclosed/ heated underbelly trailer. Not worried about the trailer, don't want the water hose to freeze/ break. Nor the waste drain hose.

Expected low temps down to 25 - Same in enclosed/heated trailer - but I would blow out the lines for the unenclosed trailer.

Expected low temps below 25 - I'll wrap the exposed waste valves in a duct sleeve from Home Depot - add a electric heat pad if expected below 20.

Stored outdoors

Expected lows near 30 - drain fresh water tank, drain low points, turn on water heater bypass - blow out the water lines with an air compressor. Add about 1/3 gallon RV antifreeze to sink, shower and bathroom basin. Add 1 gal RV antifreeze to toilet (I keep 3-5 gallons of water in the black water tank - so I use a lot more antifreeze to make sure the lower end by the dump valves is sufficient level of af.)

Expect lows below 30 - Above and Remove water heater anode and drain heater. I then go back and crack all the water heater bypass valves so those plastic ball valves will not be holding water. Those are the most likely to be damaged items in the system in my opinion. They are tight, cheap plastic and easily cracked by that small amount of water freezing.

I have run RV antifreeze through a trailer system ONCE. Took almost four full fresh water tanks to get it out.

Remember, never run RV antifreeze through the water heater.

The entire drain, blow out the system with an air compressor, add RV antifreeze to drains / P traps - takes about 15 minutes. I have a very small air compressor that will run off a 300W inverter plugged into my truck cigarette lighter. I like this air compressor because I can make sure I'm not running more than 35PSI through the system.

Having to pull the water heater anode takes another 5 minutes. I do keep a 1 1/16 socket in the truck to make getting the anode in/ out easier.

The first time will take you close to a half-hour, maybe a little more. But after that, you will be comfortable with the process.

My practice might be a bit excessive to some, might be too little to others. I works for me. I think I'm being extra conservative.

But I really hate chasing plumbing/ water leaks.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Mrs_Rosas
Explorer
Explorer
So here I am again with a question about extreme temps and the winterize process. Is there a "rule of thumb" when it comes to "winterizing an RV" in So. Az. Example: if the temps will be at/or below freezing for a couple of days and nights, then I should winterize? HELP!

I'm storing the '02 Tioga in an open storage lot south of Tucson in the Sahuarita, AZ area and although we drained the lines and opened the faucets, I didn't think about the water heater. I certainly appreciate your words of wisdom!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
For safety watch the tail swing it is what damages most RV's gas stations are the worst places to get damage. If you plan to boon dock I would suggest you get a small generator as a back up to charge your battery to start your engine should all batteries in your coach go dead. Remember the three speeds your coach has slow. slower and stop. The stuff you need is what you like, we don't build campfires so no reason for us to have open fire equipment. We don't camp we travel and are tourists see the area and enjoy the location, fish, wife likes old homes I say seen one seen em all. But I lose that argument. If you are not on hookups water conservation is vital. Sponge bath not long showers etc. Use dish washing water to flush toilet. Rain gear boots your wife will kill you during your sleep for tracking mud in. Save grocery bags for trash. Say hello to others and make friends, most of us like people.

HAVE FUN AND SEE AMERICA, We'd love to have you visit Ohio let us know if we're in state we'll be your guides.

Mrs Rosas wrote:
Hello fellow RVers,

My husband and I are in our early 50's. I retired from the federal government early last year and he's still working. Although we are new to RVing, we are veteran tent campers with too many items that were meant to make our camping experience more fun and enjoyable. As a result, after our last, and I do mean "last", tent camping trip, we decided to make life easier for ourselves and buy an RV. This has been our dream. We had been looking around for a bit and had an idea of what we wanted. Being that this was going to be our first RV, we wanted a gently used RV that was reasonably priced. And we found her less than a month ago: a 2002 Fleetwood Tioga with a slide and less than 40,000 miles on it. We are so thrilled about our new toy and have decided start out slow by taking a couple of local trips until we get to know how everything works and how this Class C handles.

So what's my question? I have a lot and don't know where to start. I would certainly appreciate some ideas and thoughts from the veterans out there on #1) the absolutely have-to-buy-to-have-on-hand items and #2) what do we have to watch out for since this is an older model? Since we are having problems cranking up the generator without the help of the engine, we figure we'll probably have to replace the auxiliary batteries soon. That being the case, any recommendations on solar panels for when we are "dry camping" or is it called "boon docking?"

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get to know this coach and we certainly appreciate any and all valuable info. We'd like to benefit from your experiences. Appreciate your time and words.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Started RVing with a 10 year old Tioga Class C and put a lot of miles on it with only a tune up and brake job. It really helps if you can do the minor repairs yourself and I always carry a complete tool kit, spare fuses, duct tape, WD 40, a folding shovel, extra blocks, step stool and a lot of other stuff. Aftern 30 years RVs still adding things. You may not need a solar system with a generator. You'll find a lot of useful information on this forum but the best way to learn is to just go camping.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Roads_Less_Trav
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome and congratulations on your new purchase!

I think you should just enjoy your new MH for a few trips before you get too caught up in upgrades like solar power. It sounds like you probably need new batteries, but once you have them, you can camp without hookups just fine by using your generator.

If you really like dry camping and decide you want to do a lot of it, there's loads of info in this forum about boondocking and solar panels and inverters and all the goodies that make boondocking easy.

If you feel like doing a little reading, we've posted a few pages on our website dedicated to those topics at:

How to boondock in an RV

Solar Power Installation Basics
2007 Hitchhiker II 34.5 RLTG Fifth Wheel
2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Long Bed / Single Rear Wheel
Traveling full-time in an RV and sailboat since 2007
Our full-time blog: http://roadslesstraveled.us
-Stories, photos, and lots of RVing tips!!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
You'll get a lot of help on this site on what NOT to do, usually because we did it wrong once.
1. Camp in your driveway a few nights. Make a list of things you needed but didn't have and another list of things you had but never needed. Keep the lists - they'll change over time.
2. Space is at a premium. If there's two of you, you don't need service for eight. There's no place to store dirty dishes or dirty pots and pans anyway.
3. Spend a couple of nights at a nearby Full Hook Up Camp Ground. Hook up to water, power and sewer. Use them.
4. Spend a couple of nights at a No Hook Up Camp Ground. Note how quickly your fresh water tank empties and how quickly your grey and black tanks fill up so you'll know how long you can dry camp before refilling and emptying. Take a few jugs of distilled water. Save the empties and refill with water from home on future trips. Water tastes different in different places. You'll really notice it in coffee or tea.
5. Clothing. Men - Jeans and T-Shirts, underwear and socks. One pair of shoes. Women - whatever you can get away with.
6. Bathroom. Men - Soap, toothbrush and paste, comb, razor and shaving cream, deodorant.
Women - whatever you can get away with.
(Can you tell that I'm single?)
7. Get out there!
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Freudian?

Probably! Although once that's out of your system it's MUCH easier to enjoy yourself! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

revump
Explorer
Explorer
Relax and enjoy
Bob

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
When things don't go exactly as planned improvise, change curse, and LAUGH!

Freudian?
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The basics: emergency roadside assistance kit, dishware, cookware, silverware, bed linens, towels, folding chairs, GPS (to be used for GUIDANCE, not dependency), meds, list of all your meds, who to contact in an emergency, pet supplies if you have any, food
The extras: whatever you feel you want/need
The essentials: A sense of humor, a sense of adventure, and the mindset that this lifestyle is full of pitfalls but that's OK because that's what puts adventure in the word ADVENTURE! Expecting perfection is only going to set you up to be let down. Just like an argument with someone it's not the argument that's the issue, it's how it's resolved. When things don't go exactly as planned improvise, change curse, and LAUGH!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]