cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Western U.S. toll roads? I-Pass?

jrdgc
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be traveling from Wisconsin to Arizona. We have learned that we want to get an I-Pass for the Illinois tollways and the states East of the Mississippi. But we are wondering when we go on our trip to Arizona (going thru Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona), are there toll roads in these states and if so, do they have an I-Pass or E-Z pass or whatever they call it? We appreciate any help you have.
Thanks,
Gary & Lucy from Wisconsin
13 REPLIES 13

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
PikePass at 800-PIKEPASS must be an option of OK based on the ticket I have someone made a note on and gave me.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Set the GPS to "Avoid Tolls" and enjoy the scenery.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option which we always try to use is to stay off the interstates/toll roads. The secondary roads will give you a much more scenic way to go.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
kknowlton wrote:
Not sure where you're going in TX but the toll roads near Houston don't accept any passes but their own, is my understanding. I-Pass definitely won't work.

If going into Texas, there are at least 17 toll roads operated by almost as many different authorities that do not work together on pass systems. Most, however, are in urban areas, either "fast" routes to the suburbs, or bypasses like the one around Austin. In some cases, the toll road is just a special "thru" lane on a freeway, and you wouldn't be on it with a RV, any sort of large vehicle or a tow. Some don't take cash, so unless you have the pass, you just don't use the road.

Yes you can use DFW toll roads without the pass. They take your picture and send you a bill. It is a little higher than using the pass.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
kknowlton wrote:
Not sure where you're going in TX but the toll roads near Houston don't accept any passes but their own, is my understanding. I-Pass definitely won't work.

If going into Texas, there are at least 17 toll roads operated by almost as many different authorities that do not work together on pass systems. Most, however, are in urban areas, either "fast" routes to the suburbs, or bypasses like the one around Austin. In some cases, the toll road is just a special "thru" lane on a freeway, and you wouldn't be on it with a RV, any sort of large vehicle or a tow. Some don't take cash, so unless you have the pass, you just don't use the road.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowman9000 wrote:
tatest wrote:
Snowman9000 wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-Pass

The whole state of OK is one big toll road. I-Pass does not work there. See above wiki article.

With 10 turnpikes, it might look like that. But you don't have to use them. It is how we get roads built without Federal money.

I-35 crosses the state north to south with no tolls.
I-40 crosses the state east to west with no tolls.

I-44 crosses the state diagonally from NE corner to Wichita Falls, Texas, via three separate turnpikes with freeways through urban areas. The sections of this from the NE corner to Oklahoma City are the turnpikes most used by people passing through.

Overall, only 606 miles of the 113,000 miles of public road in Oklahoma are toll roads.

Compare to 286 miles of toll road in Illinois, not counting the Chicago Skyway and toll bridge mileage.

I knew I'd probably rile somebody up. 🙂
We were coming from Wichita Falls heading to St. Louis, with our fiver, and I recall the tolls added up to quite a bit of cash. There was not any good way to go around them for our journey.

I've driven from north of Tulsa to Wichita Falls without using the toll roads (it adds 2 hours to a nominally 5 hour trip) and seldom use the Will Rogers when leaving for travel to Chicago or Detroit. Not because of the tolls, but because I don't like the high speed tailgating behavior now prevalent on those roads.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Snowman9000 wrote:

The whole state of OK is one big toll road. I-Pass does not work there. See above wiki article.

With 10 turnpikes, it might look like that. But you don't have to use them. It is how we get roads built without Federal money.

I-44 crosses the state diagonally from NE corner to Wichita Falls, Texas, via three separate turnpikes with freeways through urban areas. The sections of this from the NE corner to Oklahoma City are the turnpikes most used by people passing through.

Overall, only 606 miles of the 113,000 miles of public road in Oklahoma are toll roads.

Compare to 286 miles of toll road in Illinois, not counting the Chicago Skyway and toll bridge mileage.

I knew I'd probably rile somebody up. 🙂
We were coming from Wichita Falls heading to St. Louis, with our fiver, and I recall the tolls added up to quite a bit of cash. There was not any good way to go around them for our journey.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
No tolls in New Mexico or Arizona that I'm aware of.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowman9000 wrote:

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I 35 is a toll road in KS from Emporia down to Wichita.

crossing OK on I 44 and I 40, you will have two tolls on 44 and nothing on 40.
If you stay on 44, you will have another toll road to the TX border.

These are the only toll roads I can think of.

If you want to avoid the OK tolls, take 54 west out of Wichita, down to NM and I 40.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
We mainly did four lane non interstate in 2011. While there must have been some tolls the only one I remember was the Golden Gate Bridge but you are not going that far. Now one would be great for the east coast.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer

Currently RV-less but not done yet.