cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1985 Jeep cj7

k1ngdlm
Explorer
Explorer
Can a cj7 4x4 with Quadra-Trac be towed 4 down ?????????????
2013 GMC Sierra Denali 4WD Crew
2004 PALOMINO MAVERICK M-1000-SL
38' race car trailer W/ Dirt Late Model #K1ng
2004 31' Class C Coachmen Santara 309KS
7 REPLIES 7

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
No No No dont do it will destroy the tcase. Having been woking on jeeps since 1977 and rebuild more than i wish to talk about. Biggist problem was the chains wouls streach easy way to check put in drive slam the gas pedal to the floor if you hear a big bang as if something comming thru floor chain bad.we had a special tool to check chain still have one in my tool box. They were veryeasy to replace in the jeep. Not sure if you can still get parts for these,havent done one in years.
Mel Scwhentner
Chrysler tech/shop foreman 40 years
A.S.E mastertech certfied 30+year
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ

EricGT
Explorer
Explorer
k1ngdlm wrote:
Thanks everyone. Jeep does dot have Quadra-Trac. Inline 6 ,with 5-speed manual and lockout hubs. Jeep was from California , and has NO rust.

No, I don't think it can be.
Best option would be to sell it...accepting offers???? ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

k1ngdlm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Jeep does dot have Quadra-Trac. Inline 6 ,with 5-speed manual and lockout hubs. Jeep was from California , and has NO rust.
2013 GMC Sierra Denali 4WD Crew
2004 PALOMINO MAVERICK M-1000-SL
38' race car trailer W/ Dirt Late Model #K1ng
2004 31' Class C Coachmen Santara 309KS

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
I had an '85 CJ7 that we flat towed from CA to South Dakota and back (and many other trips), without any issues.

I've heard the same stories about the '80s CJ transfer cases not being flat towable, but our owners manual said it was fine and we never had any problems.
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I might be wrong, but I don't think Quadratrac was available in that model. Better check and be sure what tcase it is.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
First, find the make and model of the transfer case.
THEN you can research that particular case for towability.
Yes, there is a modification for certain transfer cases that welds splash vanes to one of the sliders in the case. I don't remember which case that is for, though.
Yes, WARN used to make a full-floating axle kit for certain Jeep rear axles (IIRC, the AMC 20 axle). I installed one on a Tuxedo Park CJ many years ago. It was a great kit. With WARN hubs on all four wheels, towing was a snap! I have heard that the kit is no longer available due to lack of interest.
Most assuredly you should get the Owners Manual, whether you find one on eBay or download one.

I dug around my bookcase and found my 1977 CJ5/CJ7/Cherokee/Wagoneer/Truck Owners Manual. Here is what it says:
Automatic transmission WITHOUT Quadra-Trac Low Range Reduction Unit:
Ignition OFF, not locked.
Disconnect front and rear propeller shafts at the axles and secure the shafts to the underside of the vehicle or remove them completely.

Automatic Transmission WITH Quadra-Trac Low Range Reduction Unit:
Ignition OFF, not locked.
Automatic transmission in PARK
Low Range Reduction Unit in NEUTRAL
CAUTION: If the emergency Drive Control knob (in the vehicle glove box) was in the Emergency Drive position when the engine was hut down, restart the engine and turn the knob to the NORMAL position.
NEVER TOW WITH THE CONTROL KNOB IN THE EMERGENCY DRIVE POSITION OR THE LOW RANGE REDUCTION UNIT IN LOW RANGE!

Here are the instructions for manual transmission units:
Ignition key OFF, not locked.
Shift transmission and transfer case to NEUTRAL position.
Turn selective drive hubs (if equipped) to LOCK position.

The above is from page 70 of the manual.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The trans is out of the equation as it is isolated by the transfer case.

I towed an 80 CJ7 thousands of miles with t case in N. I had a Dana t case.

I was told by many that you are not supposed to tow that case and others said it was ok.

I believe there was a splash kit that you added to the main shaft but I never did.

You CAN buy (I hope still) a lock/unlock rear hub and if you added that to the rear end no shafts would be turning.

I'm sure others wil add more confusing opinions.

I would try some of the Jeep forums and also try to find a PDF of the OEM Owners manual.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.