cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1994 BMW 325I towing four down

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone here know if i would have any problem towing this car four down? It is a 5 speed manual tranny. I havent looked yet, but does anyone make a tow plate for it?
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog
7 REPLIES 7

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
No one makes a plate you will have to have custom mounts made. Reason we got a dolly to tow our 99 323i convertible 5 speed. The 6 speed can not be towed and now auto can be towed. We towed that car for around 30k miles with no driveline issues.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry cad wrote:
That would be my thought also. Unfortunately, I don't as yet, own the car and it is about 2000 miles away so checking the manual is difficult. Thanks for the thoughts.

You will be much better off then skipping the BMW. you will save yourself a lot of aggravation and money!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1992 BMW 325i and called BMW to see if I could tow it behind our motorhome. Their comment was "why would anyone want to tow a BMW?". Then they said it was not towable 4 wheels down even though it had a manual transmission. If it was to be towed on a dolly, then the rear wheels had to be on the dolly. I thought if that was the case, then the front end would drag and cause too many problems.

BTW: The car left the family about a month ago with over 250,000 miles on it. Still ran good but needed a tuneup. Great car and hated to see it go.
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
My buddy towed a 90s BMW for years no issue. He welded his own way tow bar.

Interesting solution. I found the manual online. Doesn't say anything about 4 down towing but does address with rear wheels on the ground. Max speed of 30, max distance of 90. otherwise remove the drive shaft. Ugh!

Our Travel Blog

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My buddy towed a 90s BMW for years no issue. He welded his own way tow bar.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
This is what Remco says about the 1996 325i:

"Remco has no information for this vehicle at this time. Please check back later or contact your Remco dealer."

The list does not go back to 1994. If it does not say in the Owners Manual that towing is allowed, I would assume that it is not recommended by BMW.
You can, of course, get under the car and remove the driveshaft from the differential yoke, wrap the u-joint with tape to keep it assembled, and tie the shaft to the bottom of the body. I used to have to do that with a Datsun diesel pickup, so I know it works.
good luck.

That would be my thought also. Unfortunately, I don't as yet, own the car and it is about 2000 miles away so checking the manual is difficult. Thanks for the thoughts.

Our Travel Blog

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
This is what Remco says about the 1996 325i:

"Remco has no information for this vehicle at this time. Please check back later or contact your Remco dealer."

The list does not go back to 1994. If it does not say in the Owners Manual that towing is allowed, I would assume that it is not recommended by BMW.
You can, of course, get under the car and remove the driveshaft from the differential yoke, wrap the u-joint with tape to keep it assembled, and tie the shaft to the bottom of the body. I used to have to do that with a Datsun diesel pickup, so I know it works.
good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"