cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Ford Edge... ACC or off???

Mfuller93306
Explorer
Explorer
The manual calls for the Edge to be in ACC, however there is no steering wheel lock so it could be towed in the off position. I have not flat towed my Edge yet but am having a toad charger installed with my base plate. Either way can someone tell my why I can not tow in the off ignition position?? I have scoured the internet looking for answers, and the Ford dealership really didn't know you could flat tow an Edge until I told them. Any insight would be helpful.
9 REPLIES 9

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
The newer Edge may be different, but with our 2008 Edge I turn everything off(automatic headlight switch, fan controls, radio, etc) and with the transmission in neutral I turn the key all the way to the off (last) position which turns the clock display off. If you leave it in the accessory position the clock display stays on. The steering wheel does not lock. I have been towing this way for over four years with no ill effects and have never had a dead battery after a full day of towing.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

Frosty10
Explorer
Explorer
Mfuller93306 wrote:
The manual calls for the Edge to be in ACC, however there is no steering wheel lock so it could be towed in the off position. I have not flat towed my Edge yet but am having a toad charger installed with my base plate. Either way can someone tell my why I can not tow in the off ignition position?? I have scoured the internet looking for answers, and the Ford dealership really didn't know you could flat tow an Edge until I told them. Any insight would be helpful.

I think that the ACC position is so that the steering wheel does not lock. The front wheels have to be able to steer while being towed.

strudeau
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
The ECM is not powered in the ACC position thus no mileage will be recorded. I think the manual is out of date.

I'm currently towing a 2012 Ford Edge and I'm out on the road now. I've dealt with all of the dead battery issues and found that by making sure the radio/navigation and fan etc. are off, and I'm in the second (before the Ford Recommended position) spot the battery holds its charge.

My question is, why does my odometer still turn? Anybody addressed this?
Scott
2019 American Coach Dream 45 A , Allison 4000, Freightliner Chassis

2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch, Toad, Air Force One Supplemental Braking
Retired LEO

mnmillis
Explorer
Explorer
I currently tow a 2012 explorer limited and always put it in the accessory position just because the manual says to. I didn't want any problems with the warranty if something happened. I also had a charged line added since I did drain the battery a couple of times while towing. Even with the charged line don't forget to turn off your Edge when you arrive at your destination or the battery will continue to drain and you will have a very unpleasant surprise a few hours later. When you turn the motor home key off, no more charge going to the car.

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the Edge, but I flat towed a 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid for over 20,000 miles always turning the key all the way back toward off (not ACC) and never had a problem. Now towing a 2012 Fusion Hybrid in the same manner - - over 3,000 miles so far without a problem.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
None that I can think of.

Mfuller93306
Explorer
Explorer
So.... I guess I really need to know if there are any systems that critically require power when towing. I personally would guess no, but im not sure im willing to take the risk on a brand new Ford Edge Sport.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
The ECM is not powered in the ACC position thus no mileage will be recorded. I think the manual is out of date.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wonder if they want it on so the mileage adds up on the odo. If that was the case then I wouldn't do it.