cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Cherokee first tow today

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Towed today for the first time all went well after I learned that the parking break only turns off after you push the break peddle.(hint to other owners)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks
39 REPLIES 39

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bobged and et2. Just what I needed to know. Trying to decide whether to trade CRV for Cherokee. CRV drives ok, but we hate the road noise and rough ride.

Thanks again, Doug

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

et2
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
et2 wrote:
The Blue Ox base plate part number is BX1136 for the Trailhawk & BX1138 for the limited. Out of stock for a few weeks. I was quoted $459.00 at General RV and $125 hr x 4 to install - just the baseplate.

Actually the correct Blue Ox part number for the Limited, Latitude & Sport is BX1135 available for $380 with free shipping at etrailer

The BX1136 is the correct Blue Ox baseplate for the TH also available for $380 and free shipping at etrailer

Thanks for that correction :h. Looks like $60 cheaper then General RV. Somehow I'd bet if I brought it to them to install the installation just took longer. I'll ask.
😉

The install really doesn't look that bad. But I've never done nothin like that. My wife gets tired of me fixin things .... She said no way :B

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
Hello everyone,

We picked up our 2014 Cherokee today. Put on about 80 miles breaking it in. Wow, Leslie and I just love this vehicle. It exceeded all of expectations for drivability and comfort. The trunk is a bit on the small side but we will make it work.

We have the limited, with 6 cyl, AD2, luxury group, tow package, sun roof.

We have a Roadmaster sterling tow bar and waiting until April to take our coach out of storage to set up the baseplate and break. We are thinking of the SMI air force one.

I can't wait for tomorrow to drive it more.

Stuart

Congratulations, Stuart! We'll be placing our order for the same model, color and configuration (except no sun roof) some time in May after we return from some coach factory repairs and sell our Wrangler.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
The Blue Ox base plate part number is BX1136 for the Trailhawk & BX1138 for the limited. Out of stock for a few weeks. I was quoted $459.00 at General RV and $125 hr x 4 to install - just the baseplate.

Actually the correct Blue Ox part number for the Limited, Latitude & Sport is BX1135 available for $380 with free shipping at etrailer

The BX1136 is the correct Blue Ox baseplate for the TH also available for $380 and free shipping at etrailer

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

We picked up our 2014 Cherokee today. Put on about 80 miles breaking it in. Wow, Leslie and I just love this vehicle. It exceeded all of expectations for drivability and comfort. The trunk is a bit on the small side but we will make it work.

We have the limited, with 6 cyl, AD2, luxury group, tow package, sun roof.

We have a Roadmaster sterling tow bar and waiting until April to take our coach out of storage to set up the baseplate and break. We are thinking of the SMI air force one.

I can't wait for tomorrow to drive it more.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

et2
Explorer
Explorer
bennefim wrote:
What are the steps you must take to prepare for towing on the new Cherokee? Considering a purchase. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

As BobGed said, the correct transmission. I wonder how many people have bought one with the active 1 thinking they can flat tow - cause it won't. Now if you have front wheel drive, you can put on a dolly, or just put the whole car on a car trailer. You can probably buy one of those close to what it'll cost to add a base plate and get it installed ( I was quoted over $1000 for a Blue Ox. Then tow lights and wiring probably another $300 or more depending how you do that.

If you wire the lights to the car the bulb system won't work, you'll need the diode style and they splice into your vehicle wiring for that. I'm just going to get wireless mag lights and save myself from having any issues down the road.

If you don't have tow bars you'll need those too, $400 and up. And a braking system if you don't have that. If you need it all.... drum roll .... Over $3000

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
bennefim wrote:
What are the steps you must take to prepare for towing on the new Cherokee? Considering a purchase. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

First it must have the Active Drive II. Four down towing instructions start on page 551 here:
2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner's Manual

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks, Doug

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Found this posted elsewhere. There is a liner on page 19. I also read elsewhere Rugged Ridge might have a good protective rubber mat in March.

3.4mb PDF download for KL Cherokee

et2
Explorer
Explorer

et2
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
I got the deep dish weathertech brand DigitalFit® one for the front and rear seating areas - never owned them before - wonderful - they make one for the rear cargo area too

Thanks, but I checked their web site. No rear cargo available yet. I like the rubber mats that come with the Trailhawk for the front & rear seats.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I got the deep dish weathertech brand DigitalFit® one for the front and rear seating areas - never owned them before - wonderful - they make one for the rear cargo area too
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a rear cargo area rubber or Vinyl mat available anywhere. There's a carpeted mat, but that is useless as far as I'm concerned. Anyone have one yet?

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
Well, just picked up our Trailhawk today. Just needs a baseplate and rear light wiring a long with the emergency brake connection for the Brake Buddy. I checked on the Blue Ox site, they still don't have the base plates listed for any Cherokee. But I still have a few months till the snow melts anyway.

It runs great in the snow. Big difference from our Liberty.

You will love it I just turned 4,000 miles today
2014 Jeep Cherokee