cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Suburu Forester NOT listed as Dingby?

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
I was under the impression that the Forester with the manual transmission was flat towable?
RVing since '74..
26 REPLIES 26

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Lawyers and Risk Managers...
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
ATTN: MODERATOR:

CAN you find out why Subaru is not listed this year?
RVing since '74..

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
I flat tow a 2015 Subaru Forester, manual transmission. The salesman insisted that it was not possible or probable, even when the owners manual indicated otherwise. This is the way of the now, disavow everything for the sake of avoiding even a hint of responsibility

YMMV
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The 2016 FMCA dinghy guide has six 2016 Subarus listed.
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
"Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate your interest in the 2016 Forester.

The best way to transport a Subaru vehicle is a flatbed tow truck with ALL wheels off the ground.

We recommend that an owner follow the precautions and recommendations outlined in the Owner's Manual, if flat towing with all wheels on the ground is unavoidable in an emergency situation. "

My question was, "Is the Forester suitable for towing by an RV?"
This answer, while not saying "no, definitely not", sure doesn't say "yes".
based on this answer I would be reluctant to buy a Subaru for dingy use since that would not be emergency use.
RVing since '74..

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to this website, 2016 Forester 2.5i.

Scroll down and click on 9. In case of emergency

Scroll down to page 9-16.

It tells how to tow.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Manual transmissions still have things (gears etc) being turned by the wheels when being pulled down the road even when placed in neutral.

The only sure way is have a wheel hub manual lock like the older Jeeps used to have... Then nothing gets turned by the wheels. I have waded out into the mud a many times to turn my Jeep wheel locks haha. My Jeeps also had the manual shift in-out transfer case.

The trick is to not have any shafts turning when the wheels are being made to turn when on the ground being towed. Some of the setups have an out-board transmission fluid pump to keep the moving parts lubricated to keep from being over-heated.

Probably many other reasons why some vehicles doesn't qualify to be easily towed.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I just received my "2016 Guide to Dingy Towing" with my Motorhome Magazine. I noticed that there are no Subarus listed in it. They always have been in it in previous years.

That would reinforce what kalynzoo posted.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
All manual tranny Subarus are towable. I've towed several with no problems when we owned motor homes.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The 2016 Subaru Forester Owner's Manual has instructions for flat towing that have no speed or distance restrictions for manual transmissions.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Check owners manual under towing and see what it says.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
It may be towable, but I was told by a Subaru dealer that no product was listed as towable. Perhaps Subaru will not support or document the ability to tow.