cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel RV Cover removal and storage

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first year that I covered my 5th wheel to store it over the winter. I have a Goldline Cover by EEVELLE. The cover held up well and I only occasionally had to tighten the straps. I am only planning to cover over winter storage.

My question is what is the best way to store this cover? It comes with a duffle bag but it will take some work to get the cover folded enough to fit back inside although I will try.

My plan is to remove the cover and bring it home and lay it out in the yard to make sure that it is dry. I will also try to clean any dirt off if possible. Will automobile car wash be good to clean it?

What is the best way to safely remove the cover? I have a ladder attached to rear of the 5th wheel so I'm assuming that take it off from back to front. It went on front to back.

What will be the best way to fold it to have it fit in the bag AND be easily installed this fall?

Once in the bag should I put anything inside the bag such as mothballs or cedar blocks? I'm planning on keeping the bag in my basement which is finished clean and dry.

Any other removal or storage tips that you can share will be appreciated. I want to get as much life out of this cover as possible.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
4 REPLIES 4

bolljl
Explorer III
Explorer III
We used a 50 gal garbage container to store cover. Do search on google

video on best process to remove rv cover
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually 4X4 CUMMINS
2013 Lifestyle LS35SB, MORryde IS System
AIRSAFE, Air Hitch

morley
Explorer
Explorer
I use the same approach as Thermoguy, except that I roll it up (inside face down and then flip the sides up and fold and roll it from back to front) this way it is ready to go on the fiver and roll backwards from front to back and flip out the sides and drop over the sides next winter. Works real well and quick to reinstall. Use a cardboard tube to act as a roller to get it started rolling up and then it fits in the bag real easily and stores in the garage for the summer. One year I unzipped all 3 of the passenger side zippers and then pulled the cover off over the other side. Works really well but then a bit cumbersome to rezip sometimes. If it wonโ€™t fit back in the bag, I once saw a Youtube where they just took the cover off their motorhome and stuffed it in a big garbage can for summer storage.
A real must (no pun intended) is to make sure the cover is completely dry before storing it however you may do it.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had mine for a few years. I take it off the opposite of the way I put it on. Back to front. I slip it off the front and lay it on the ground in front of the trailer. I lay it upside down, so the inside is facing the air. I then fold the sides over the top, like folding a tent. I fold it again using the bag that it came with as a template for how long it can be. I then roll it, stand it up, and stuff it in the bag with the bottom to the air. Have been able to get it in the bag every year.

I do make sure it is dry when I take it off. I think it is easier to dry on the trailer than trying to hang it up to dry somewhere else. Just pick a dry day, the cover dries really fast. The only time it is wet is when it is raining or for a few hours after it has stopped raining.

I have never put anything in the bag to prevent mold or anything, but again I make sure it is dry. I leave it in my garage, never had any issue and I have been using it for 4 season I think.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some water resistant coatings will degrade when soap is used. IMO you should ask the cover manufacturer.

Just once did I try to put my cover back in the bag. Very difficult. I roll mine carefully and use wide straps to keep it together. The better "rolled" the easier it is to put back on. I find back rolling front to back easier but it doesn't really make a difference.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad