cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AAA and tow vehicle and trailer

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
I'll call tomorrow, but maybe you already know the answer to this.
When I tow my boat or trailer, what happens if the tow vehicle needs to be towed or the boat or trailer needs to be towed?
22 REPLIES 22

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
These are all good points to consider and now I also need to check with State Farm to see what kind of towing coverage I might have with my auto insurance.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
A heavy duty wrecker can tow a pickup with the bumper pull or even fifth wheel trailer hitched to the pickup as normal. Whether or not AAA will pay for a heavy duty wrecker, is another story.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
I have Geico insurance with RV, and ERS coverage. If I need a tow, I let them know I have my trailer, and they bring two trucks. It's not much $ to add either, which is why I don't mess with AAA, GS, etc. Thankfully, I haven't needed it yet.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
You would be better off to put $120 cash in the glove box once a year. Then some time in the next ten years if you need a tow just pay cash.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I have some phone calls to make, AAA and Good Sam, and some detailed questions to ask tomorrow. Thanks.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If the RV option is available in your area and you are in your home area then you should be fine. However, since AAA is not one club but many YMMV.
Many stories of people with AAA RV not getting service cause of the local clubs rule.
For example one club does not cover RV's at all. SO the service in that area may be substandard for a RV. Another AAA club will not allow inside dually to be changed so you have to be towed. There are even instances here where the Trailer was left at the side of the road because the tow truck happened to be a flatbed and could not hook up the fifth wheel to tow it.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
you have to add the RV option to your AAA membership.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the RV membership. If the tow vehicle needs to be towid they will also tow the trailer.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog