cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding air bags, any recommendations???

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Am thinking of adding a "small set" of air bags. Have seen them for 1000# to 5000# added weight. Would only need the minimum.
See the sig for the truck. The 5th wheel is probably close to payload. No, I have never weighed the combo. I do know my max is around 2040#.
For the minimum air bag install what would the recommendation be...?
Thank you

PS...I had just posted but had a brain fart and totally forget where so now I am in the correct forum. As I say, the mind is a terrible thing to waste, or lose...
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
7 REPLIES 7

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
I like the design of the Firestone (at least for the Super Duty) because the mounting brackets place the force on the axle tube vs the bump stop perch. Much better mounting design than the Air Lift. Don't know for your particular truck. The Air Lift also seem to be much more complicated to install with a cheesy heat shield that attaches to the exhaust.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

path1
Explorer
Explorer
ramyankee wrote:
Am thinking of adding a "small set" of air bags. Have seen them for 1000# to 5000# added weight. Would only need the minimum.
See the sig for the truck. The 5th wheel is probably close to payload. No, I have never weighed the combo. I do know my max is around 2040#.
For the minimum air bag install what would the recommendation be...?
Thank you

PS...I had just posted but had a brain fart and totally forget where so now I am in the correct forum. As I say, the mind is a terrible thing to waste, or lose...

If truck and 5th wheel in sig is current be sure to check (first) that air bag brackets won't compete for the same space on your frame as your 5th wheel brackets. If you have older style brackets for 5th wheel they might. If they do, custom made is not hard by a competent welder but takes time.

My turn over ball (manufactures name)on a 2001 Dodge had the old style brackets that were installed in 2005. I ended up with the choice of getting new style brackets for 5th wheel brackets or custom made air bag brackets (that was a lot cheaper). Just something to watch out for. You'll like air bags. At the time I didn't know what type of air compressor I wanted, so mounted valves under my running board in a spring loaded eye glass holder, that I got at junk store (to keep dirt off valves). Made running a 12 volt air compressor from cig lighter to valve stems easier than running to license plate bolts. Be sure to cut air line at 90 degrees or little tiny leaks will drive you crazy. I eventually bought and used a cheap tubing cutter from Lowes and solved problems. Turns out a pocket knife not so good for cutting tubing. You want clean 90 degree cuts with no frays at end.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I second the Firestone airbags. I have them on my 3500 and keeps 4100 lbs. of weight stable and controllable.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

Vannnce
Explorer
Explorer
Either firestone or airlift work great. I have airlift and love them, my dad has firestone and loves his. Both good
'02 f350 ECLB with some goodies. B&W/ Companion
2002 fleetwood prowler 32R-D
Full time RV'er, currently in Houston, TX

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Firestone bags on my 2010 Ram 3500 4x4 SRW megacab. Simple bolt on. Removed the bumpstops and bolted brackets and bags on. Came with heat shield for rt side by exhaust. BTW jack frame up to let axle hang before tightening anything for perfect alignment. Run air lines and install fill valves and then Miller time.

Beavis01350
Explorer
Explorer
I have Airlift bags. Good kit, fit well, works great. They dont add payload, just stablize what you have and make the ride more comfortable.
Shawn McGill

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD D-Max W/ bagges CCSB
2016 Carbon 297 Toy Hauler

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get your loaded combination to the scales. Guessing is asking for trouble. Adding stuff simply to add is going to cost unrecoverable money.
Your trucks 9200 GVWR and likely 7500 ready to go weight only gives you about 1700 pounds of real world cargo capacity.