cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Ford EDGE - can you flat tow this vehicle?

kduquette
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we are new to RVing and will be purchasing our first Class A or possible Class C here shortly. I want to know if anyone here, has towed their 2013 Ford Edge? It is not 4 wheel drive. If so, can it be flat towed?

Thanks for any insight!

Kim D
9 REPLIES 9

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I just set up my 2014 Edge Limited about two months ago. Three thousand miles later....it tows like a dream. I read on here about setting up a charge line so I just did that from the beginning. Car shows a full charged battery after a full day of towing. BTW if you get a Limited or one with push button start I think a charge line is almost mandatory.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2013 Edge. Roadmaster tow bar sub frame and air brake. No problems.
Follow procedure and put it acc position and close air to recirculate and so on. Turn of head lights.
batter won't get drained if procedure is followed and tail and brake and turn lights work fine. Start it up and run through the gears every eight hours I think. We do it every time we stop.
You have to have the charge wire.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem as described by Mergs. We had a charge line installed but have not gone on a long trip to see if it works.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mergs wrote:
We tow a 2013 ford edge and it is supposed to be alright. But if we tow for two days without unhooking it the battery goes dead. Have called the dealer we got it from and they don't know why this happens. We do everything by the book and stop every four hours and run it but it still does it. Have to go to the Ford dealer before the next trip and see if we can put in a disconect switch.

From my research (looking at new to 3 year old Edges) they can be flat towed.

To keep the battery from going dead, just run a charge line from the MH to the towed to keep the battery charged, just like how it's done on a trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mergs
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2013 ford edge and it is supposed to be alright. But if we tow for two days without unhooking it the battery goes dead. Have called the dealer we got it from and they don't know why this happens. We do everything by the book and stop every four hours and run it but it still does it. Have to go to the Ford dealer before the next trip and see if we can put in a disconect switch.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 Guide to Dinghy Towing, supplement to Motorhome Magazine says- Edge 3.5-L/3.7-L can be towed. Special procedures are "Run engine at beginning of day for 5 minutes (shift into DRIVE, then REVERSE and NEUTRAL) and every 6 hours thereafter.)". Max towing speed is 65 mph.

I have no personal experience with this car. Your owners manual should be your guide.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
HERE is one place to input your vehicle info and get 'recommendation'

THEN follow it up with the 'specific' info about towing in your owners manual.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to know for sure is to check the owner's manual.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"