cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice for Fiat 500 TOAD

treeDodgingCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I know towing a Fiat 500 has been mentioned and covered in other posts/threads, but I'm looking for some specific information (if anyone has some), regarding towing a Fiat 500 with a Dolphin motorhome.

We have a '96 Dolphin 535 which has the rear brush guard (horizontal broom attachment on rear bumper, not sure the actual name for it), and we just purchased a 2014 Fiat 500 to tow.

Since the car is new we'd like to protect our investment, but I read so much conflicting information on how to. Some people say the brush guards are worse than nothing, others say they're the only thing that works. Then there are the protect-a-tow covers which look promising, or the vertical hard covers...

I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience with a Dolphin, or similar Class-A tag-axle and towing a Fiat 500. What should I use for a brake controller? What should I use to protect the car and windshield from stones and debris? This is a gas motorhome, so no engine in the back to worry about, and I'd rather the back of the motorhome took stone chips than the new car.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
'96 Dolphin with '14 Fiat 500 Toad
4 REPLIES 4

treeDodgingCamp
Explorer
Explorer
It is a fun car ๐Ÿ™‚ And it is the 5-speed manual trans for towing.

Glad to hear no chips so far!
'96 Dolphin with '14 Fiat 500 Toad

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have towed a 2013 Fiat 500 for about a year now. No protection. I think maybe one tiny chip if I look closely. Use a Classic Brake Buddy, but had to call BB and get a special clevice for the brake pedal. It was free and easy to install. Actually I like it better than the original clevice.

I guess if I really wanted to have a cover, would look into the one that covers the hood and goes up on the windshield. As little as the car is, maybe the others might be on the big side

BTW, FUN car...

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the manual or automatic trans in the 500? Only the manual trans is towable 4 down...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Roadmaster tow defender, and will install the Roadmaster Guardian soon. I'm very fussy about rock chips and door dings, and want all the protection I can get.

We towed a CRV behind our class C for over 1500 miles this year with the tow defender, and have been very pleased with the lack of rocks or rock chips. This included about 50 miles of gravel roads.

We're picking up our new class A in 10 days and will be driving about 2000 miles in the next 3-4 months. I hope the protection is as good behind the new RV as the old one.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"