cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

air conditioner shifted position

srogers1094
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Itasca Spirit. The rooftop AC seems to have shifted slightly. The entire unit has moved on one end about an inch or inch and a half. It isn't moving any more and seems to be mounted securely. No leaks evident despite recent heavy rain. Will it do any harm to leave it? I will have to mount the filter grate in a new position to get it to fit. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mich F wrote:
Since you have to move the A/C unit, it might be a good time to replace the seal between the roof and the unit. It looks like you've been lucky that it doesn't appear to be leaking. Moving it back to the proper position might be enough to cause it to leak.

Replacing the roof seal requires 'removal' of the A/C unit....disconnected electrically and lift it up out of roof opening.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have to move the A/C unit, it might be a good time to replace the seal between the roof and the unit. It looks like you've been lucky that it doesn't appear to be leaking. Moving it back to the proper position might be enough to cause it to leak.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

srogers1094
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take the inside grill off.
In the four corners are hold down bolts.
They are loose...they hold the A/C Unit in position and compress roof gasket to seal from outside.

Loosen all of them......reposition A/C Unit so it is squared up in roof opening.
May need help....lift/push it up to position....don't shove it.

Then tighten the hold down bolts until 'snug'. Don't overtighten. Just snug enough to compress roof gasket.
They get loose over time due to bouncing on roads, gasket getting compressed/aging etc.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31