cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air in the Spare

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder for folks to check the air pressure in the trailer spare tire more often than "once in a while"

I had GS come today to change a tire for me,the air pressure required is 110 psi.My spare was only at 62 psi.Not good!
GS did not have a compressor with him.Fortunately I had mine.
My spare is tucked up under the traler (difficult to get to)
I plan on getting an extention line of some sort and run it out to a built in guage and valve stem,so I won't be caught like that again.
Any thoughts or ideas where to get the needed items?
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06
5 REPLIES 5

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Yup,
I always check all the tires on truck and trailer regularly.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
so I won't be caught like that again.

Being you have a Dodge in sig line... Geno's Garage has or maybe used to have what they called something like "extend a spare" air line or words to that effect. I've had mine 5 or more years. It threads onto your spare tire valve and has about a 3 or 3 foot hose that you can zip tie up or mount how you want and check air pressure at end of hose line and not underneath laying on your back. I never mounted it because I use it on different vehicles. If I recall price was around $10 bucks. Works great for my use. It looked just like this http://www.sportys.com/ToolShop/product/12409 I don't know if this one is good quality or not.

Thanks,I'll check that out.pretty much what I had in mind.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely check mine since I always have my 12 volt with me. I can fill it up once when I need to use it or fill it multiple times when I don't need it. Not lazy but that's my story and I'm sticking to it lol.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, that's why I carry a cheap 12v compressor in my truck. I don't need 110 psi, but I do need around 50 psi when towing, so if I am caught short on PSI, it only costs me a little bit of time... 😉

I do check my spares on the truck and the trailer at the start of the season, and top off, but have only found them to be about 5 psi off of max, so not really a big deal for me...

Still, very good advice, as you should always know what condition your spare is! 🙂

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
so I won't be caught like that again.

Being you have a Dodge in sig line... Geno's Garage has or maybe used to have what they called something like "extend a spare" air line or words to that effect. I've had mine 5 or more years. It threads onto your spare tire valve and has about a 3 or 3 foot hose that you can zip tie up or mount how you want and check air pressure at end of hose line and not underneath laying on your back. I never mounted it because I use it on different vehicles. If I recall price was around $10 bucks. Works great for my use. It looked just like this http://www.sportys.com/ToolShop/product/12409 I don't know if this one is good quality or not.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"