cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another water hose

Kwahl1
Explorer
Explorer
The two water hoses for my motorhome need replaced. Kinked, folded and dirty. I’ve seen a variety of them out there. Currently I have the white Camping World 25-footers. Any recommendation or ones to avoid? I do not have room for any sort of hose reel or automatic reeler.
Ken
19 REPLIES 19

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Still using my cheap-o green garden hose I picked up out of the grass at home some 20 years ago, or was that the yellow one? Come to think of it, it's yellow. I put the green one back on the spigot at home! No, I think I ended up replacing the green one with a brown one a few years ago. I cut off the ends of the green one to make "water slaves" for spigots that have no threaded ends. At any rate, the yellow one is in the camper.

I suggest, go with yellow. It seems to have lasted the longest!
Obviously, the poison in the colored hoses have zapped your memory. I bet if you look at yourself in the mirror you will be shocked to see you look 20 years older than you did when you found that hose. By abusing your body with those hose chemicals for all these years I am willing to bet you won't live a day beyond your 120th birthday.
To answer the OP's question, a cheap hose will probably last 6 months before you do something to destroy it. If you splurge and buy the best, you can probably get a good half a year out it. My hoses die of abuse long before they would ever expire due to old age.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Always carry a Y splitter. I now carry TWO, one brass, one plastic. Do not buy the ones in the RV department at WalMart. Those are the zinc die cast chrome plated ones, they literally rot away. Get the better ones at a home & garden store made for outside heavy duty use.
Side issue: just because you're a long term CG resident does not mean you get to use any and all of the taps for spots not currently occupied. And don't get upset when someone removes your corroded Y connector with the black tank wand left attached from their tap! BAD FORM!
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
I've been to state parks where there is one spigot for 4 campsites. I had to stretch my 100 feet to reach.
What's more fun is when there are no threads on the spigot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have another vote for the Zero G, have a 5/8" x 50' and haven't noticed any taste difference.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
We carry two 100' hoses for when we have to use potable water and can reach most spigots with that amount. We also have a 25' hose ...

People thought I was nuts carrying a 50' and a 25' !

I've been to state parks where there is one spigot for 4 campsites. I had to stretch my 100 feet to reach.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
We carry two 100' hoses for when we have to use potable water and can reach most spigots with that amount. We also have a 25' hose ...

People thought I was nuts carrying a 50' and a 25' !

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
I like the new kind of metal ones that coil up like string.

Like STRING????

I have the metal jacketed hose (Still on the card) for when my existing already failed once in two places so I made it shorter plus the ends both went bad so they were replaced too White hose.

Got it at Dollar General by the way.
Alas I do not see it on their web site today.

This is what it looks like

But I did not pay NEARLY that much at DG (like 25 bucks was the price)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I think the biggest factor in kinking hoses is people don't now how to coil the properly. Cable, wire and Semi-rigid hoses need to be coiled over-under AFTER initially fully uncoiling them, preferably in the hot sun. Also, make the coils as big as you can for your storage method. This method is used in repelling, cowboy lassos, portable sound systems, portable power systems, anywhere a spool is not used. If you don't know what under over means, Utube it for a video.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
There are several good ones available online. Expect to spend about $30 for a good one. Can't count how many of the cheap Walmart $15 hoses I've thrown away.

Having said that, I've been very happy with this hose from Camco:

CAMCO 10 FT RV HOSE

I don't know if it's still available but about 2 years ago someone on Amazon had a 2 pack of these 10 ft hoses for about $25.00, which actually worked out good because sometimes all you need is a 10 footer, or combine them to make a 20 footer. The hose seems to be very good quality and does not kink. The metal ends are a plus IMO. Highly recommend this hose.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zero G

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Still using my cheap-o green garden hose I picked up out of the grass at home some 20 years ago, or was that the yellow one? Come to think of it, it's yellow. I put the green one back on the spigot at home! No, I think I ended up replacing the green one with a brown one a few years ago. I cut off the ends of the green one to make "water slaves" for spigots that have no threaded ends. At any rate, the yellow one is in the camper.

I suggest, go with yellow. It seems to have lasted the longest!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"rvwaterfilterstore.com"

You will NEVER wear out one of their hoses. They stay flexible in COLD weather. You can choose brass or stainless ends and they are top quality. They sell assorted lengths. $$$ but you won't buy another.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pressure rating could be a factor if you travel around much and have a regulator inside or at the city water inlet. Pressure can get as high as 200 psi in some cases. Highest we've had so far is 120 psi. We use a Valterra high pressure rated hose and is 5/8" diameter for better flow and have a regulator inside. I would get an NSF certified hose.

For anyone sensitive to the taste of vinyl in hoses, Valterra makes a "taste free" hose.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Zero G hose. Lightweight but strong. We carry two 100' hoses for when we have to use potable water and can reach most spigots with that amount. We also have a 25' hose when we are at a full hook up site. We've had cars, trucks and campers drive over them as we're filling our tank too. Very strong. No issues at all.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.