cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anti sway question.

Dozer
Explorer
Explorer
If a truck has built in sway control, (2022 Ford Ranger) is anything else necessary regarding a hitch setup? If you're within the guidelines of the manufacturer re: tongue weight. What else needs to be done?
The truck is rated to tow 7500 lbs and I'm only planning to tow about 4500.

Thanks in advance,
Dozer
19 REPLIES 19

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dozer wrote:
If a truck has built in sway control, (2022 Ford Ranger) is anything else necessary regarding a hitch setup? If you're within the guidelines of the manufacturer re: tongue weight. What else needs to be done?

Thanks in advance,
Dozer

Not a thing, most likely, unless you have an ill-mannered trailer or need some suspension help.
PS, people towed for a long time without automatic vehicle/trailer built in sway control. (Not that it doesn't work, it does, if needed)
But sway control is either a band-aid for a trailer that is built "wrong" or loaded incorrectly, or it is just not of any other advantage.

The "what if" doomsday conditions scenario folks, speak largely out of fear or ignorance, not experience.
Food for thought, from someone who has been pulling 100s of different trailers with 100s of different trucks in virtually every road/weather/geographical condition our country has to offer, since Gdubya was president.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sjm9911 wrote:
Im for a wdh with sway controll also. Even if you dont have sway, you never know when something out of the ordinary can happen and it saves you.

..No matter how many "professional" RVers claim that belt, suspenders, elastic waist band and 2 hands firmly grasping your belt loops is required to safely tow a trailer, itโ€™s not magical or mysterious. And if youโ€™re in that OH SHT swerve to save your life, if you swerve hard enough to get the trailer to break loose, a wdh isnโ€™t going to tip the odds your way very much.
Again, sway control is for people who are uncomfortable with how a โ€œnormalโ€ trailer feels or who have an ill mannered trailer. And a wdh is for if you donโ€™t have enough suspension, or hitch capacity to do the job without a suspension aide.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Im for a wdh with sway controll also. Even if you dont have sway, you never know when something out of the ordinary can happen and it saves you.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dozer wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Dozer

Honestly, it's tough to max out most tow ratings as you run out of payload or hitch weight long before you hit max tow rating.

4500 is that the empty weight or the GVWR?
If it's empty, you can expect to be up around 6000-6500 by the time you are ready to roll with a hitch weight of 700-800lb.

Payload is probably OK if you limit it to 2 people in the truck and keep the firewood and other stuff in the truck bed reasonable.

Hitch weight limits are typically 500lb with just the ball and increases to somewhere around 800-1200lb if you use a weight distributing hitch (verify in the manual for the exact amounts).

An added benefit is the WDH can be found with sway control built in. This works better than relying on the truck to detect sway and then take action. The truck's system starts activating individual wheel brakes, so if the trailer is prone to sway, you will lose MPG and wear out your brakes faster...assuming it is able to get it under control.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
No... You need a physical WD hitch setup if you plan on towing a #4500 TT with even a 2022 Ranger.. The built in sway control is only when you are totally out of control and if your truck ever gets into that mode, you are not doing well...

Here is what it says about that feature in my 13 F150's owners manual.. (yes I have it in PDF format. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

TRAILER SWAY CONTROL (IF EQUIPPED)
WARNING: Turning off trailer sway control increases the risk of
loss of vehicle control, serious injury or death. Ford does not
recommend disabling this feature except in situations where speed
reduction may be detrimental (such as hill climbing), the driver has
significant trailer towing experience, and can control trailer sway and
maintain safe operation.

Note: This feature does not prevent trailer sway, but reduces it once it
begins.

Note: This feature cannot stop all trailers from swaying.

Note: In some cases, if vehicle speed is too high, the system may turn
on multiple times, gradually reducing vehicle speed.

This feature applies your vehicle brakes at individual wheels and, if
necessary, reduces engine power. If the trailer begins to sway, the
stability control light flashes. The first thing to do is slow your vehicle
down, then pull safely to the side of the road and check for proper
tongue load and trailer load distribution. See the Load Carrying chapter
for specific loading information.

So, basically what this is saying is if you experience you don't have your rig setup correctly or at all.

You will see a message flash on your screen when it's being applied, which I have never seen on my rig.

Anyway, get a WD hitch setup and rely on the built in sway control in case of dire emergency.. Not as a replacement.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.