cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience renting out your motorhome?

chasloew
Explorer
Explorer
I’m a newbie with a question about rentals. Years ago, my wife and I spent over a month traveling in a friend’s motorhome. Now that we’re retired, we’d like to have our own for several trips a year. To help with expenses, we’d like to use a peer-to-peer rental service like Outdoorsy or RVshare. I’ve read glowing reports on their sites about the money that can be made, but I’m sure they’re biased. I’m also aware that many advise against this without having done it.

We’d like to get unbiased advice and experiences -- both pro and con -- from those who have actually used these services. We’re in a mid-sized city in the Midwest. We think a small used motorhome that sleeps at least 4 might be good, but want to know what makes the most sense financially and what potential there is. If you've done this, we'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks, Charlie
37 REPLIES 37

chasloew
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
My wifes aunt and uncle rented there's. It was trashed after a few years.
If your not the kind of person who's very particular about their things, it can work for you.
Remember to talk to your ins. agent. You'll need entirely different coverage.

I have rented out apartments for years, so I know there's both good and bad renters. I'd start with a used one for sure. The rental brokers indicate that they provide insurance but I'll check for sure. Thanks! -- Charlie

chasloew
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I did this back in the 1990,s no way would I do it again. renter calls ,motor blew up in geogia, your rv is in augusta we flew home. I sued, I won but it was a long battle.

Thanks! That's the sort of feedback I am looking for. I appreciate hearing actual experiences. I'm sorry it turned out badly for you. Of course, I was kinda hoping for better outcomes!

Charlie

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My wifes aunt and uncle rented there's. It was trashed after a few years.
If your not the kind of person who's very particular about their things, it can work for you.
Remember to talk to your ins. agent. You'll need entirely different coverage.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Watch this and then realize it may be truer than you first think.

Clicky

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did this back in the 1990,s no way would I do it again. renter calls ,motor blew up in geogia, your rv is in augusta we flew home. I sued, I won but it was a long battle.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you'll find this forum not rental friendly. Most of the people here own their RV's and consider renting a high-end, or even a medium-end RV a losing proposition. I'm sure there are some who have done it, but I don't believe they frequent RV.net.

Don't forget that all those "glowing reports on their sites about the money that can be made" are designed to convince you to do the same. So what you read may not reflect real life.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We have hosted at several parks over the last 6 years and see the way some rental units are treated. No way would I trust my expensive RV in the hands of the normal camper.

We had a friend that was part owner in an RV dealership that also rented them out. While many came back OK, they occasionally got one back trashed way beyond the deposit for repairs.

Also, you will need special insurance to cover it in a commercial use.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer