cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone got advice a decent roof water-sealant?

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a '76 Dodge camper van and it leaks a little from the roof. I believe the material to be metal on the exterior.

I was just looking around and haven't decided what I need to water seal the roof after I prep it.

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
that is a small Class 'C', the body is molded fiberglass and it appears the roof is too, I think that model was sold as weekend party van to be in competition with the custom van craze at the time
those rounded 'caps' at all the corners and edges, cover where the body and roof sections all come together
scrub/clean all 'mating' edges and nearby surface clean it it 5 to 6 inches wide
first with water, then with a rag and acetone
you want the clean area wider than the Eternabond tape, clean 3" each side of centerline of the mating edge wear the molding caps overlap the roof, 3" on the molding, 3" on the roof

use 4" wide EB tape. it comes in 50 ft rolls, you need at least one roll and might need more

good luck

Thank you! That clears things up greatly and now I know what the top and sides are made of! The tape is going to be a life-saver it seems like?

MrWizard
that is a small Class 'C', the body is molded fiberglass and it appears the roof is too, I think that model was sold as weekend party van to be in competition with the custom van craze at the time
those rounded 'caps' at all the corners and edges, cover where the body and roof sections all come together
scrub/clean all 'mating' edges and nearby surface clean it it 5 to 6 inches wide
first with water, then with a rag and acetone
you want the clean area wider than the Eternabond tape, clean 3" each side of centerline of the mating edge wear the molding caps overlap the roof, 3" on the molding, 3" on the roof

use 4" wide EB tape. it comes in 50 ft rolls, you need at least one roll and might need more

good luck

here are bubble top camper vans, the steel van body is intact, only the roof is added on,

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
eternabond tape
and
3M polyurethane sealant

if this is a VAN with a Bubble top

the top is fiberglass

if this is a Class 'C' motorhome the roof is most likley Alu at that year

bubble top camper vans have a habit of rusting thru at the drip gutter where the roof top is attached to the van body

scrape remove all paint and all sealant all rust, all the way around, in the gutter' then
fill the gutter with polyurethane or Dicor, NOT silicone
when set (takes several days), cover with Eternabond tape
it will not leak again, not there

class C, clean all roof seams (same as above) cover with EB tape
tighten the bolts that hold the roof top A/C, drop the inside A/C cover to get to the 4 bolts

Wow this is great advice! Thanks a ton!

As far as I can tell I think it's a bubble top. Here let me post a photo from my other thread. It'll clarify that I am sure.

Once again this is not only helpful now, it'll be a for sure future cost saver.

You cant really tell from the exterior photo. Inside though you can see the dome shape.

MrWizard
eternabond tape
and
3M polyurethane sealant

if this is a VAN with a Bubble top

the top is fiberglass

if this is a Class 'C' motorhome the roof is most likley Alu at that year

bubble top camper vans have a habit of rusting thru at the drip gutter where the roof top is attached to the van body

scrape remove all paint and all sealant all rust, all the way around, in the gutter' then
fill the gutter with polyurethane or Dicor, NOT silicone
when set (takes several days), cover with Eternabond tape
it will not leak again, not there

class C, clean all roof seams (same as above) cover with EB tape
tighten the bolts that hold the roof top A/C, drop the inside A/C cover to get to the 4 bolts
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Even though it's expensive, the tape is especially good on roofs because it bends as the roof flexes. I wish it had been around years ago when I was trying to keep our truck camper alive. It may have survived if I'd used it.

Good luck HC!

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Check out Eternabond tape for the roof and Dicor lap sealant for everywhere else.
Great stuff!!

Noted! Thanks buddy! Looking into the stuff right now.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Check out Eternabond tape for the roof and Dicor lap sealant for everywhere else.
Great stuff!!