cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Asking for a friend

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
He is trying to winterize his 5th wheel. Antifreeze flows through the cold water side but not the hot water side. System is set to bypass and winterize. He tried blowing air through it and no air passing either. If winterize mode is switched back to RV mode, air passes through the system.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
8 REPLIES 8

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Water Heater Bypass Valve

If anyone is interested, this is a video of the valve that I found on YouTube that describes the operation of the valve pretty well.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
If there is any possible to install something wrong / opposite to the directions on an RV, most of us will install it the wrong way the first time.

mobeewan wrote:
The water heater bypass valve(s) is normally on the back of the water heater.

Most of the higher end fifth wheels and motorhomes I see have a remote handle to turn the water heater bypass valves on the outside near the city water input. I'm sure the actual valve is located close to the water heater, but the cable pull handle is on the outside as described by the OP

Actually, the valve is on the other side of the handle. It cuts off flow to the dedicated cold water line that runs to the water heater and redirects to a red, hot water line that ties into the rest of the hot water system.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
If there is any possible to install something wrong / opposite to the directions on an RV, most of us will install it the wrong way the first time.

mobeewan wrote:

Most of the higher end fifth wheels and motorhomes I see have a remote handle to turn the water heater bypass valves on the outside near the city water input. I'm sure the actual valve is located close to the water heater, but the cable pull handle is on the outside as described by the OP
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The handle is most likely a 90 degree rotation and has a positive stop to prevent further rotation.

As you said he might have to remove the handle and reorient it properly. Make sure the valve is set to pass water through the line when the handle is inline with the hose and perpendicular to the hose when shut off.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
It's a B&B Moulders bypass valve on the outside of the trailer where the fresh water connections are. We have diagnosed that the wrong side of the valve is open when in bypass. I'm wondering if it is as simple as the handle orientation? Does anyone know if this valve will rotate 360 degrees? He installed this new this past Spring and may have put the handle on in the wrong orientation?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like the water heater bypassing valves are not set up properly, or (depending on the system) malfunctioning. The only malfunction I can think of that would cause the problem as described would be a check valve on the water heater if it's so equipped and it's a one valve bypass setup.

My guess is that it's a three valve bypass setup, and the middle valve (that connects the hot and cold lines) is not being set properly.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Probably help to post what RV he has and even better a picture of the bypass configuration.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2