Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avoiding Washington and Baltimore

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Will be driving from Richmond, VA, to Philadelphia on Saturday in a class A w/towd and wondering which is the best route around DC and Baltimore? Haven't made this trip before so would appreciate advice from those familiar with the highways, traffic, etc.
Am thinking I-95 north and I-495 around Washington and I-695(west) around Baltimore. Many say I-81 is good but that just seems too far out of the way. I also know US-301 is an option but read it's not that good due to traffic and general congestion.
Would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks, Jim
seadog
17 REPLIES 17

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
301 south of Washington is not too bad. The worst is going through Waldorf. Other than there it is pretty clear going.

There is a section of 495 around the south of Washington which has separated express lanes, no exits in this section, for those not getting off in the DC downtown area. Outside of that section there have always been slow downs. Last fall we had to use 495 on a Sunday around the N side of DC. OMG, what a mess! No construction, no crash, just traffic, stop & go. Had there been a choice that day the lights of Waldorf & a few other places on 301 would have been far more preferable.

You pick your poison. No matter what you do anywhere between DC & Boston is no fun. The good news is that there are multiple ways to endure the misery.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Veebyes,
Thanks for your input. I'd consider US=301 except it sure looks like a lot of congestion potential once you get up near Washington with a lot of traffic lights, etc. I like US highways too and love to get away from the trucks on the interstates but many US routes can get you into a lot of slow, stop-and-go areas that not only are slow but frustrating with all the red lights. I'm afraid on a Saturday 301 might be very crowded around all the small towns.
I'll think about it some more but since it'll be a Saturday trip I sorta think the interstate route will be OK if we leave at dawn and go around DC on I-495 and Baltimore on I-695.

Thanks, Jim
seadog

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am based on the Chesapeake Bay Eastern Shore so have done the Baltimore Washington avoidance thing many times. Coming from the Richmond, VA area I'd use the 301N route across the Potomac, through Annapolis, across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, up 301, Wilmington & on to Philadelphia from there.

If coming from further south than Richmond we go through Norfolk/Virginia Beach, across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, an attraction in itself, & up 13 to Wilmington. With the exception of the Norfolk area, very civilised driving the whole way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the great input, I really appreciate it since I'm not familiar with this area and know it's notorious for difficult driving.
Think we'll try I-95 from Richmond to DC, I-495(west) around DC back to I-95, on up to I-695(west) around Baltimore back to I-95 and then on up to Philly. Leaving very early on Saturday which I hope will minimize traffic issues.
Thanks again for all the great advice.

Safe travels to all,
Jim
seadog

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do this route all the time. I prefer 95 and the west side of 695 as opposed to the Key bridge (rig in signature). We take the loop around the west side of DC, too. We've tried the alternate routes with varying degrees of success - mostly longer travel times. We avoid rush hours.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Mainevacationer
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the DC area. What NHIrish told you is absolutely correct. Safe trip.
Elinor and Pat
2015 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CCK

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps patience is a virtue. However, living in Baltimore 32 years, unless it is late at night or my destination is related to the 95/495 corridor, I use the Key Bridge, 301 to 95/295. Unless I am leaving from a DE location, then will take 13/Bay Bridge Tunnel and navigate back to 95 as necessary. We all pick our poison differently.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
seadogjim wrote:
Hi,

Will be driving from Richmond, VA, to Philadelphia on Saturday in a class A w/towd and wondering which is the best route around DC and Baltimore? Haven't made this trip before so would appreciate advice from those familiar with the highways, traffic, etc.
Am thinking I-95 north and I-495 around Washington and I-695(west) around Baltimore. Many say I-81 is good but that just seems too far out of the way. I also know US-301 is an option but read it's not that good due to traffic and general congestion.
Would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks, Jim

I wouldn't even worry about it on a Saturday. I-95, I-495 and I-695 W are your best routes. There's no rush hour on a Saturday, so just leave around 9 am and you should be fine. There might be accidents, but that can happen anywhere. Find alternate routes in case of traffic, but I think Interstate for your route is best.

We drive GA to NJ 6 to 8 times a year all I-95 (except I-295 around Richmond). For us, it is all about timing. There is no better route than I-95 as we live 2 miles from I-95 and our destination is about 10 miles from NJ Turnpike. The 301 route isn't bad if you don't mind stop lights and slow driving. It's not like it was 20 - 30 years ago. There is a lot more traffic along 301 than their used to be (lots of new housing developments close to 301). If there is traffic on I-95, most people are jumping off onto 301.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

I am actually making that trip south in about 2 hours in my pick up.. On Saturday, I would stay on 95 to DC - then 95-695 EAST crossing the Key Bridge.. ( I just think the eastern way is quicker.. My opinion only ) back to 95.. in De take 495 around Wilmington, back onto 95 to Phila..

I am in Bucks County now ( just North of Philly ) and will be in Ashland VA later today..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like I-81, but I am coming in from the west so it is not out of the way for me.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, one more thing. If you DO use GoogleMaps, be aware that it will steer you to the E-Z Pass Express lanes around DC. It wont' TELL you that it's doing that, it will just tell you to get in the left lane. Then it will send you into the EZ-Pass Express lanes. At least that's what I've found to be its default. Personally, I don't want the toll lanes normally, because I'm too much of a tightwad to spend the bucks.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever route you choose, the biggest variable is the traffic. When it's bad, it's VERY bad. I once had about a 4-hour delay between Richmond and DC on I95. Pretty much unpredictable.

Lately I've been using GoogleMaps on my iPhone. It seems to do a great job of monitoring traffic conditions along your route and recommending alternatives when it sees a traffic problem up ahead.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Been a few years since I made those trips but since you are going on a Saturday, I would say the beltway routes 495 and 695. 301 and the secondary route can be better than the interstates on weekdays, but on weekends the shoppers are heavier than the diminished number of commuters left on the interstates.
JMHO

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
I use the 301 route, get off 95 at exit #104 and follow the signs to get to 301, it does have sections with some lights and yes it might slow down but I prefer this way and there is some construction at some places but then where is there not construction.
The 95 route as has been said is 495 around DC then the shortest way around Baltimore is 695 East across the Scot Key Bridge, you can take 695 west for free but is a bit longer. Good luck on your choice and safe travels
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.