cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ball wear?

Tank1202
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed on my last trip that my ball on the receiver is wearing. Small granular shavings are coming out of the tongue. I rubbed my finger under the tongue and it felt smooth. My weight distribution system is a Reese and its rated for 10,000# and the trailer is right around 7900# loaded for travel. Any Ideas what might be causing this. The ball is about 15 years old going on its third TT. Could it be just the age? Thanks in advance.
Joe
4 REPLIES 4

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I just completed a long trip and learned a little about ball grease. Since the movement is rather small, I thought that just about any grease would be fine. I started the trip using white lithium grease and cleaned and relubed several times. Each cleaning I found thick, black goo with metal particles. Later there was a squeak from the ball when backing. I then cleaned the ball and coupler and applied red wheel bearing grease. That worked well.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reese sells a grease they say is specifically for use on the ball and you used to be able to get it at Walmart in a small blue and white tub, BUT I have used any type of heavier wheel bearing grease in the past. You must use some type of grease on the ball because there is so much metal on metal force on them.

The friction between the ball and coupler, as you have found out, can wear out either the ball or the coupler or both. In addition, many members have found that the friction will loosen the ball in its mounting from turning.

Do not use wax paper, silicone spray, or WD40 as that does not provide enough lubrication nor does it last. Best idea is to wipe the ball and coupler off after use and then re-apply a heavy grease before the next towing session. That way, you keep the area somewhat clean and don't get grease all over you or others, and you don't have a sandpaper effect of the dirt on you ball or coupler.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Tank1202
Explorer
Explorer
I'll will replace the ball tomorrow. No I've never lubed my ball.... (No jokes on that statement. LOL)
But is there any specific kind of grease to use?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
15 years old certainly has some age on it...easy to replace

But, have you been lubing it regularly?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro