cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barker Electric tongue jack stuck

dmcf
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Barker Series 3000 tongue jack this is stuck in the up position. I have taken off the top and tried the manual crank, and it bent the crank. Then I took it apart to see if the pin had sheered off, and everything looks good. I have email Barker several times and they do not respond. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about see if I could find a socket wrench that would fit over the manual override and see if I could work it free. And now I also wonder which way I should be trying to crank it. Clockwise or counter clockwise?
Darren McFarlan
2006 KZ Frontier 2405
2007 Nissan Armada
9 REPLIES 9

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
dmcf wrote:
I have a Barker Series 3000 tongue jack this is stuck in the up position. I have taken off the top and tried the manual crank, and it bent the crank. Then I took it apart to see if the pin had sheered off, and everything looks good. I have email Barker several times and they do not respond. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about see if I could find a socket wrench that would fit over the manual override and see if I could work it free. And now I also wonder which way I should be trying to crank it. Clockwise or counter clockwise?

Barker has two basic types of jacks to limit their movement. One uses two micro switches and the other uses some sort of "clutch wheel" that is inside the drive assembly case. It sounds like you might thave the "clutch wheel" type and I know with my micro switch one if the switch for the stowed or "UP" position fails you can jam the jack to where it's next to impossible to free it up. You need to make sure you are turning things the right way manually or you might make matters worse. I agree with a couple of other comments that you need to call Barker and talk to a tech rep. I found them very knowledgeable and helpful. Then you need to find out exactly what went wrong and fix it. Good think is that from my experience you can buy just about any part for the Barker jacks and they are not the unit level replacement type items.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
dmcf wrote:
... I have taken off the top and tried the manual crank, and it bent the crank. ...
I had a similar problem. My jack would not go up or down. I almost bent the manual crank handle trying to crank it by hand. It seems the motor seized up and didn't want to turn. I removed the cover and removed the gear on the motor and that allowed the rest of the gear chain to work with the manual crank. As I recall there was a little "C" clip that I had to remove to pull the motor gear off the motor shaft.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem several years ago and it turned out to be the inline fuse that kept blowing. They walked me thru the steps to operate the jack and to bypass the fuse. It also had a resettable breaker.
I have found that it is a lot better to call their tech support than to send an email. I called and got a live tech and when I told him I was in a campground in north central Washington state and it was 10 degrees and a foot of snow on the ground and still snowing, he told me a couple of things to do for now and that he would call me in the morning and eslk me thru the rest. Wow and he did.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Call Barker.I had a problem with mine and they sent me some new micro switches at no charge.

dmcf
Explorer
Explorer
I got it off the hitch, and dropped my front jacks to hold the trailer, and then put boards under the jack.
Darren McFarlan
2006 KZ Frontier 2405
2007 Nissan Armada

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a bottle jack so you could get it off the ball. Sounds like you might
have to take more off it apart.
CanAmKid

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
no if your trying to lower the jack that would be clockwise

dmcf
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, the jack is stuck all the way up, or all the way off the ground. It need to be cranked down so the jack is all the way out and holding the trailer off the ground. So, crank counter clockwise? I have taken the head completely off and tried to crank.
Darren McFarlan
2006 KZ Frontier 2405
2007 Nissan Armada

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe to retract you would want to turn it counter clockwise. Have you tried cranking it with the head complete removed or just through the port hole?