cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best approach for more LP into our RV...?

akaPedro
Explorer
Explorer
This is not something I will do on my own...I will hire a licensed contractor.

Our motor home is in a shed about 60 feet from our house/500 gallon LP tank. We don't use this tank as it only hooks up to our pool heater.
Motor home has a 24 gallon tank.

In the event of a serious, long term, hacked power grid outage, we would like to move into the m/h. 24 gallon tank won't last but a month or so in the winter. I will assume no electricity means no propane refill at a gas station or elsewhere.

We have a gasoline generator and 2000w inverter/charger. I would like to a)...buy two $500.00 LP tanks, hook together outside the RV shed and pipe inside. Or b)...hook into our 500 gallon tank, trench over to the RV shed and pipe inside.

As I understand, it is not possible to fill our 24 gallon tank from our 500 gallon tank...and so it will be hooked up some way directly into the RV stove, furnace lines.

Sound reasonable...any better ideas ?
17 REPLIES 17

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If your 500 has a liquid out connection you most certainly can fill the RV tank.

Otherwise yes you can run propane into the shed and connect to the RV. Probably need a regulator outside so you only have low pressure in the building. Your contractor should know the local rules. By all means get a city permit and inspection.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Your propane supply company should be able to do the work for you. I would connect to the 500 gal tank unless the length of the hose offsets the cost of the tanks you are talking about purchasing.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google "Extend-A-Stay." You permanently install it between the propane tank and the regulator. It allows you to hook an external tank straight to your existing LP system.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB