cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big black bugs crawling across road

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I was recently on highway 50 near Austin Nevada and thousands of large black insects were crawling across the road; none were flying This was during dusk and early evening. There weren't enough to make the road slick. Anyone know what they are? Just curious.
18 REPLIES 18

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
so much for camping in a tent or on the ground under a shade shelter even if it has a net.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I think you may be right about the tarantulas. Never figured they could be spiders. I checked youtube and they were happy to find just a few spiders on the tarantula migration. I'm talking about thousands for miles. They were all walking in the same direction, not random. I initially thought they might be dark Jerusalem Crickets but these were definitely black. I was going to check them out if there was a turnout. Good thing there wasn't, might have creeped us out!

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK... it begs the question:

Why did the tarantula cross the road?
(It was following the chicken...LOL)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tarantula walkabout,males looking for mates? I have seen the same thing in Mew Mexico this time of year.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C