cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike Rack

RVChippys
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Anyone out there in Forum land have a bike rack that attaches to their Blue Ox tow bar in between the RV (class A) and the tow car?
We tow a Scion with a drop hitch.We have seen it once or twice but never grabbed company who makes product. Thanks in advance for any help.
6 REPLIES 6

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked long and hard at the double hitch receiver noted above, and at the idea of carrying bikes between the Motorhome and Toad. Ultimately, chose not to go that route, because:

1. Most hitch mount bike racks, when you look closely at the warranty for such, it says they are NOT recommended or supported, to be used on the back of an RV. I only found 1 or 2 specific models that allow, support this kind of use.

2. We found that with bikes mounted that way, it is impossible when unhitching the toad, to fold up the tow bar. Bikes would have to come off whenever you unhitch. For us, this just wouldn't work. We like to unhitch (and fold up the tow bar) before we get to our site in some cases, when at campground that have tight, narrow roads going to the campsite.

3. With our tow bar (Readybrute), Using a dual hitch receiver and bike rack physically would not work - it would get in the way of the Readybrake actuator arm.

4. We like to be able to carry the bikes on the towed vehicle (Ford Fusion), because sometimes we want to bring bikes places we can't bring the Motorhome very well.

For last few years, we carried bikes on back of the toad using a hitch mounted rack. That worked OK, but eventually got to where didn't like them back there, either. Just seems like a lot of weight to be hanging off the back, where you can't even see it. That, and didn't like how it blocks your access to the trunk back there, as well as makes your tail lights tougher for anyone to see.

Soo, a few months ago, we went to using Yakima roof racks on top of towed vehicle. Like this arrangement sooooooo much better, wish I would have done it from the get-go!! Much easier to get bikes on, off of there, and much better for the bikes, since they aren't rubbing against each other like they were before. That, and like how trunk access is no longer blocked, and tail lights are clearly visible from behind.

Yes, roof racks are expensive, but I highly, highly recommend this approach over anything else if you possibly can do it. I got all the parts for mine via Craigs List which made it much cheaper. Like said before, wish I would have gone this route from the beginning.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

RVChippys
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Chindog. I think we will go with that double drop down hitch.:)

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
What I use is a dual hitch extender I got off the shelf at Walmart, combined with a Nashbar 2 bike hitch rack. I plug my Blue Ox towbar in the bottom receiver, and the bike rack in the top one. I'm pretty sure Reese makes a drop hitch version of the extender. We don't need a drop hitch, so this works well for us. It's nice to be able to unhook the car and run down to the store without the bike rack on the back.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
How about a rack that attaches to the back of the towed car?

That is what we do. Put the bike rack on the toad.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
How about a rack that attaches to the back of the towed car?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)