cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank problem

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Currently at a campground in North Georgia mountains. This morning as I tried to empty the black tank I pulled the handle but the tank did not drain. I have come to the sad conclusion the the handle has pulled loose from the valve and therefore the valve is stuck in the closed position. My obvious question is can the tank be drained manually so I can replace the bad valve. Keep in my that I am in the campground. I just want to have some way to drain the tank now or else I will have to pack up and leave. It shows about 2/3 full now. I realize I can use the campground facilities but my main concern is draining the tank.
25 REPLIES 25

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I had the exact same thing happen to me a few weeks ago in a West Yellowstone RV park. I managed to stick the rod back in the hole, find the threaded end of the valve and screwed it back into the valve. I was amazed that I could stick that rod back in the hole and find the threaded end on the valve but I did and it's stayed in place since then.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Sounds like this guy had a similar issue: Clickable Link

Thanks for this link. Looks like my problem exactly, and how to fix it as well. Guess I will get to try it out soon. If so I will follow up so it might help another poor soul.

jkbrea
Explorer
Explorer
I think I may replace mine "just in case" while its empty. Trailer is 10 years old and I sure don't want to deal with that.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Wanted to add, if you can find a direct replacement valve, buy it or better yet, buy two. Bring it home and take it apart. Then you will understand exactly how it is sealed internally, and where you can cut to minimize unwanted leakage. I think we can agree that leakage, would be unwanted, yes? ๐Ÿ™‚
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like this guy had a similar issue: Clickable Link
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Call a local portable toilet company and see if they can do a pump out from your toilet... at least get the bulk the the tank emptied before trying to open things up.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I would just quit using it and take care of it when you get home. No problem driving with a 2/3 full black tank. I know I shouldn't say this but pee in the shower drain if its in middle of the night and save number two for the facilities. ๐Ÿ™‚
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
would you mind posting some photos...

having fixed many, Im sure there is an option for you to get the gate opened and at least dump the bulk of the load...

more often than not, this is a messy job...
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
If you have access to the other side of the valve from the handle, maybe you can drill a smallish hole opposite the rod and push the gate from behind with a dowel or another metal rod or similar.

While I haven't heard of it being done, it seems to me that one ought to be able to pump out (most of) the contents of the black tank by putting a hose down the toilet, similar to how septic tanks are pumped out. If you were really brave and/or foolhardy, a shop vac would probably do that trick...but I wouldn't want to do so with my shop vac! Having an intermediate container to collect the sewage might be practical (maybe a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, with the hoses connected to the lid). It would not be pleasant work, of course, but beats the alternative.
. Now if you will just lend me your shop vac I will return it and you can use the contents to fertilize your garden!!!!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This will not end well, be prepared before you start tearing the valve apart. The bright side is they are easy to replace once you dispose of the tank contents
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Face it....One way or another you will wear it, happened to me. ๐Ÿ˜ž
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have access to the other side of the valve from the handle, maybe you can drill a smallish hole opposite the rod and push the gate from behind with a dowel or another metal rod or similar.

While I haven't heard of it being done, it seems to me that one ought to be able to pump out (most of) the contents of the black tank by putting a hose down the toilet, similar to how septic tanks are pumped out. If you were really brave and/or foolhardy, a shop vac would probably do that trick...but I wouldn't want to do so with my shop vac! Having an intermediate container to collect the sewage might be practical (maybe a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, with the hoses connected to the lid). It would not be pleasant work, of course, but beats the alternative.

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
I feel for you. This can be a really nasty repair. The glue idea has merit but I would suggest a strong epoxy like JB weld. The slide valves are not expensive but if you cannot get it to open, you will have a tank full of sewage going everywhere when the valve is taken off. My suggestion is to cut away the part of the valve that the shutter blade retracts into when the valve is open. This MAY allow you to get ahold of it and open the shutter just enough to drain the liquid from the tank. You'll get some leakage but it will be a WHOLE LOT better than having to deal with 50 gallons of sewage. If there is an RV dump that you can get the valve (and motorhome) parked directly over, it's a little more practical to just remove the valve (putting up some splash guards and wear protective gloves,gear). Keep in mind if you can just partially open the broken valve, you can get the liquid drained out and with luck the solids will stay in place long enough to install a new valve assembly after which you can fill the tank back up with water to flush it properly. The learning moment here is "it had previously been hard to open". The first time you notice that with a sewer valve, CHANGE IT OUT!
. I think this will be my first option when I get it home. I can use a dremel to cut into the housing to see if I can then grab the blade valve with vise grips etc. I just hate to drive thru the mountains with 200-300 pounds of "poopy" water but looks like I don't have much choice. Thanks for the suggestions.

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get back to the valve itself, shove a plastic anchor in it and you thread your rod and handle into it.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E