cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake controler problems

happy007
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a new tow vehicle-2013 Silverado. The previous owner had installed an "Hopkins Agility" brake controller. On my first trip I noticed that every time I apply the brakes there is a jerk and then I think everything is working OK. I have tried adjusting the power and sensitivity with no help. I am thinking the controller is bad but would like to be sure before I purchase a new one. Any help or sugestions will be appreciated.
The Hopkins Agility Model is #47295. I am towing a 2011 Dutchmen 28 foot about 7000 Lbs.
6 REPLIES 6

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
It is not a time based controller. It is an inertia device.

I suspect it is much like the older Sentinal, Voyager, etc that were the early attempts at proportional controllers. You might be much happier with a Prodigy - any model.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/brake-controllers/agility_brake_control.html
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I also think the controller you have is a scaled down version of a cheap controller. I personally like the prodigy series. P2 or P3. I had one of the cheap controllers once on my truck and had to do a panic stop, thank God the right shoulder was clear, I finally got stopped four cars down the line. to me money is nothing if you don't have safety. I will gladly spend $100 for a good controller that will stop me and my family when it needs to stop. these $50 controller can't compete with a good high end controller.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well, logical troubleshooting seems to point at the controller.

"Hopkins" is the brand they sell in Walmart, so likely it is not a very smart controller. Just a time-based controller.

What is the possibility of transferring the controller from the old truck?

A new controller would be <$100 and a good investment to get away from the basic Hopkins unit. Something like a Prodigy P2 maybe.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

happy007
Explorer
Explorer
My previous tow vehicle, a 2006 Silverado seemed to have no problems with the controller in it. I am not sure if the problem could be in the RV brakes. I wish there was a simple way to point to either the controller or the RV brakes.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Just so we have the complete story, what kind of trailer are you pulling? Have you checked the brakes on it? And lastly, was it working well with your previous tow vehicle (TV) and controller?
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forums! ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you are here and I hope you get all your questions answered and post often.

You will probably get better help if you post the make and model of the brake controller you are using. Just click "edit" on your post and insert the information.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine