Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bucking with Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

hkrisle
Explorer
Explorer
Setup:
Tow vehicle: 2015 F350 short bed with B&W Goosneck hitch and Anderson 5th Wheel Ultimate Connection and 3000lb air bags. Recently added Bilstein 5160 shocks.

Towed Vehicle: 2017 3730FL Keystone Montana. NOTE: running about 1000lb payload for a gross weight of around 14,400 at the most. I always run dry so no water or black/grey water. I generally load over the axles for balanced load.

I can get severe bucking when exiting certain fast dips after a bridge.

Any ideas what I can do to help the situation? Trailer shocks, different hitch,????
24 REPLIES 24

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Is the ball behind the axle?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My Andersen is the rail version and I don't know if it's any different because of that but it's been great. The easiest thing to experiment with is your bags - try running more pressure in them.

Also try throwing some water in that bad boy. Having some extra weight down low isn't a bad thing for stability, and maybe it'll help. I don't go anywhere without a full load of water, other than coming home when we've used it up.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Keystone Fuzion had pretty unpleasant chucking when we first got it. We tow behind a 2001 Dodge dually, and the Fuzion weighs in around 15,000 with about 3,000 lbs. hitch weight. The expansion joints before and after bridges were especially bad.

I installed the Dexter E-Z Flex suspension with wet bolts. The difference was night and day. While it didn't eliminate the chucking completely we don't get coffee sloshed out of our mugs now. The best bang-for-the-buck improvement you can make.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hkrisle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the comments!
Answers:

1. Weights:

a. Pin weight - 2670
b. dry weight - 13,170
c. rated payload - 3500
(I am NEVER more than 1500 in payload and I never travel wet except blackwater)

2. Air bags:

a. Generally I run with only the 5 lb minimum. My truck has the 11,500 lb payload option and the overload springs are never anywhere near being used except on certain twisting (curbs) situations. From time to time I will run them at 30 if the road is unusually rough, but not very often.

3. FW attitude:

a. The FW and truck are almost completely flat and parallel. When we first got the FW I noticed it was nose high and ended up raising the MORryde hitch up one bolt which significantly improved the ride (The Anderson ball was already at the bottom). The truck naturally sits a little high without any lift kit.
b. I thought about the frame flex issue but considering its a short bed with the 11,500 payload package I'm not sure that's an issue?

4. Hitch:

a. The obvious advantage to the Anderson is the 35 lb weight. There's only me to get it in and out of the bed! and its out far more than its in. And then there's the close to 9" of offset that helps my short bed pinch issue. That said I was considering the B&W Companion hitch since at least its 2 pieces with a total of 206 lbs any thoughts on this hitch?

5. Pin box:

a. MORryde ruber pin box.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
The tight tolerances of the Andersen ball/coupler can transmit more forces onto the TV. Adding a cushioned pinbox such as the MorRyde or Demco Glide Ride (currently using) will help absorbe some of those forces before they reach the hitch and TV
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you maybe running nose-high, which would cause the bouncing/bucking. A word of caution...a single point attachment, Andersen on ball, with that size weight of FW, may cause the truck bed to flex, and with severe bucking, possible hitch damage.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
whats the pin weight and how much air you running?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
A 5th wheel is designed the same as a teeter-totter, of course it's gonna buck.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well you have just blown the bragging rights of all other Andersen Ultimate Connection of how it solves chucking in a 5er!!

Now to the point, what is your pin weight percentage? Best towing at 20% to 25%, most find closer to 22% is a good spot.
My guess is that you are pin lite, so that the 5er is trying to rock back and forth on the axles.
Is your FW tank forward of the axles, if so try filling it full and see how it tows. You likely need to get pin over 3,100# and it will get smother. To your question on 5er shocks, they will help.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"