cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a New 2016 trailer in 2019. What’s it worth?

Hooterville
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer has a brand new, never registered 2016 Cougar 303RLS for sale. Even though it is still new, the moment I put a plate on it will be a 4 year old unit. the NADA guide for this year and model has recommended an average value of about 54% of the original MSRP.

I am located in Canada and the listing MSRP is $71,300 (Canadian) Sticker on it currently is $56,000. Using a straight used value this would come to about a used value of $38,500.

Looking for advise on what it is really worth and how to approach the dealer.
20 REPLIES 20

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea what the Canadian laws are, but you would be very wise to get in writing from the manufacturer whatever warranty they will honor.

Speaking as a consumer and not an attorney, I would put a lot of focus on the tires. Sitting for 4 years may have put them at the end of their life.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
all great advice. I,d wonder why it sat this long????

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a complete roof and appliance inspection, $38.5.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
As the above have stated, but to ask, and demand in writing, an affirmation of the unit being sold "AS NEW" in 2019 for warranty purposes. It may turn out to be valueless, but it may also be invaluable since the trailer is already 4 years old.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
It may be never owned but it has been out in weather for 4 years! Look for water intrusion and cracked caulking. 50% is generous.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
approach him just the same way you posted. IMO your logic is correct.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle