cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cabinet double layer of panels below-screwing into concerns

TheRealMacGyver
Explorer
Explorer
My upper cabinets seem to have an upper /lower panel, I assume to allow space for wiring. I want to screw into that to mount a paper towel holder and maybe a few other things later? My worry is that I will screw right into a wire and create a mess! Any advice? There is a receptacle nearby, but I am not sure I want to mess with it!
6 REPLIES 6

TheRealMacGyver
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies, great info. I do have one of those voltage detectors too!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A hollow cavity like that is common and may or may not have 120 or 12 volt wiring or low voltage wiring (like for tank sensors) in it. The cavity is usually 3/4" to 1" thick.

If you saw all the wiring in a ceiling cavity and all the sharp-pointed screws they put into the ceilings, you'd be totally shocked... I know I was the first time I discovered that. Not sure what size of screws you're using - #8? You *could* screw into the 1/8" luan plywood and then remove the screws and file or grind the sharp points off.

A #8 screw doesn't have a lot of holding power in the thin and relatively soft luan plywood they use in RVs. I actually had that happen today on a thingy for one of the pleated blinds and had to move it slightly and put the screw back into solid luan again.

Instead of screws, you can also use Oscar rivets. They are a type of rivet specifically made for applications like this in RVs. Not cheap but if you only need a few you're okay. They are very strong too and have way better holding power compared to screws and won't hurt existing wiring. For paper towel holders, towel racks, TP holders and the like, Oscar rivets are a good choice.

If you ever want to add recessed puck lights, a receptacle, switch or whatever, those hollow cavities sure come in handy!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would not worry about that at all.
Unless there's a light or something near it, it's very unlikely a wire will be there. Even if it is, it will probably move out of the way if you disturb it.
I have installed screws in dozens of places like that without issue.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
PastorCharlie wrote:
Buy a $10.00 electrical tester and scan over the area. It will locate electric current in the wall, etc.

What he said....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The inner bottom panels in our cabinets are held in place with screws. That makes it pretty easy to lift them up to make sure there's no wire issues when adding accessories underneath. I've even added reinforcing that way to better support the heavier accessories that might pull loose from the thin cabinet bottom material.

In our previous coach, the bottom inner panels were tacked in place with small brads. I pried those up with a screw driver as needed, and then tacked them back down when done.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a $10.00 electrical tester and scan over the area. It will locate electric current in the wall, etc.