cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Californianos Hang Onto Yer Britches...!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Might be a good idea to secure loose items, cover solar panels, and even tarp the rig...

The "Pineapple Express" is coming later today and it's my opinion the weather gurus are WAY understating the power of this storm. Mostly northern California but central California is not exempt.

Seenyore Niner Bikes might want to beware of hillsides that no longer want to play the side part.

And this storm is going to continue eastbound. All the way across the northern 48.

Having a minor in meteorology allow me to read weather charts and I have a very strong series of memories about the Pineapple Express. A huge storm passes, then a "surprise" storm follows on it's heels, then gurus chant "They're lined up all the way to Hawaii" then a few days later "Well, shut my mouth, now the storms extend all the way to the Philippines".

If there's one thing I have LOTS of experience with, its @#$%^&! storms and biblical quantities of rainfall.....grumble.....snarf.

Take care and don't bother washing the rig. This monster is going to test the watertight integrity of your rolling escape hatch...
91 REPLIES 91

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Weather March 20th 2010 in the San Fernando Valley. 7" of rain that day.

I remember this day well, went to buy a new car, a long ways away, it was the GF's birthday. Vehicle was a Honda CRV in AWD... needed it that day.

In other news, this is why I don't buy vehicles with sunroofs any more, with drains that clog on them.

Thoroughly checked out the TT a week or two ago in the brunt of a storm for leaks, everything was dry inside, that time. I know strong winds can change things. Hell of a lot better to be holed up in a TT in a storm than a flapping tent, like in years gone past.

Is anyone going to experiment in this storm with their solar panels and amp hours harvested in cloudy versus sunny skies? Perfect cold temps for testing MPPT theory versus reality.

Maybe Mena661 will be out there buying solar panels and installing them, finally? It hardly ever rains out there in the desert where he lives.

Edit: Huh, I could have sworn this was in the tech section?

Sunroofs like most anything else require a little maintenance once in a while. About once a year sometimes twice depending if you park under trees or not you need to run a wire through the drain tube to clean the crud out of it. It takes about 10 minutes and You Tube has videos on it if you aren't sure what to do. Easy Peasy

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a pipsqueak compared to storms in the midwest and along the eastern seaboard. Winds up to 20 knots and temperatures in the 60's - oh my!

With global warming California is one of the safest places to be living. Heaven help the people living in the gulf states.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
I actually get embarrassed, as a California resident, when they report these storms. We get a little rain while some parts of the country are getting blizzards and 10 feet of snow.

We get an inch of rain and all of the news reporters run around looking for a puddle to stand in so they can do a live broadcast.

fires, earthquakes mudslides, riots, driveby shootings... always something newsworthy.

My knee joints aren't complaining much about this approaching storm... usually I feel a northwester coming on, but so far... nothing.

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
12:30 pm currently in this part of So Cal and no rain clouds overhead. In fact, it's warm and nice and sunny. That's supposed to change later this evening and we're supposed to really get hit tomorrow, but nothing like the bay area and further north.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Notice that it just managed to bypass Mammoth.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't a "little" rain this time..

Not complaining tho...
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I actually get embarrassed, as a California resident, when they report these storms. We get a little rain while some parts of the country are getting blizzards and 10 feet of snow.

We get an inch of rain and all of the news reporters run around looking for a puddle to stand in so they can do a live broadcast.

Nevada is even worse, we get wind-- lots of it. When we get some rain or snow in the mountains it is all over the news. With the ski resorts often supporting the TV weather news what else can we expect but the most rosey mountain snow picture possible.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
"...hang onto yer ..." Oh that does say Britches....

habn't had my coffee ...

Hang on to your Betula? Not a bad idea if they stay rooted during a flood.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Orphamedora wrote:
It's all just hype!

Marysville, CA would disagree with you. Anyone that's seen Englebright flow over the top on Jan 1 after warm tropical rains melted all the snow pack early knows what I am talking about.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Weather March 20th 2010 in the San Fernando Valley. 7" of rain that day.

I remember this day well, went to buy a new car, a long ways away, it was the GF's birthday. Vehicle was a Honda CRV in AWD... needed it that day.

In other news, this is why I don't buy vehicles with sunroofs any more, with drains that clog on them.

Thoroughly checked out the TT a week or two ago in the brunt of a storm for leaks, everything was dry inside, that time. I know strong winds can change things. Hell of a lot better to be holed up in a TT in a storm than a flapping tent, like in years gone past.

Is anyone going to experiment in this storm with their solar panels and amp hours harvested in cloudy versus sunny skies? Perfect cold temps for testing MPPT theory versus reality.

Maybe Mena661 will be out there buying solar panels and installing them, finally? It hardly ever rains out there in the desert where he lives.

Edit: Huh, I could have sworn this was in the tech section?

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
I lived through the winter of '81 in Santa Cruz County. Over 8" of rain in 11 hours. Hillside came down in Love Creek burying 6 (I believe) that were never found. Half the county was without power for a week. CHP checked drivers licenses at the summit to keep lookie lous out.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Someone mentioned hoping the rain goes into the lakes. It has been and more has gone into fields and yards making ponds that look like lakes. Swamps are now lakes. We do not need any more. Here in lower Michigan some roads we often take are closed because of being water covered.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
"...hang onto yer ..." Oh that does say Britches....

habn't had my coffee ...