cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping or Glamping?

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If you use your own equipment, and not “renting”, but reside in a nice, self-contained unit.....is it camping or glamping?

After listening to my wife read about “glamping”.....I discovered that we may have been “glamping” since the ‘60’s! 🙂 What say you?

If your tent is made of modern synthetics rather than animal skins.....are you “glamping”?

Where does it all end? Someone help me, I am confused! :B
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
73 REPLIES 73

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Folks without oxen could not afford animals to pull wagons.

memtb wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
memtb wrote:

Yep! Some of those folks didn’t even have oxen or horses to pull their wagon.....they had hand pulled carts! Such as this! Those blessed with animal drawn wagons were “glamping”!

https://www.wyohistory.org/encyclopedia/journey-martins-cove-mormon-handcart-tragedy-1856

Thanks for that link! I was aware of the Handcarters (saw markers along our route which yes, made us truly appreciate having an RV as we traveled difficult terrain) but not this particular bit of history. The strength of the human spirit blows my mind....

Your welcome! Very few of today’s population could even hope to survive what our early settlers endured! I’d like to think I could....but, I know better!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
memtb wrote:

Yep! Some of those folks didn’t even have oxen or horses to pull their wagon.....they had hand pulled carts! Such as this! Those blessed with animal drawn wagons were “glamping”!

https://www.wyohistory.org/encyclopedia/journey-martins-cove-mormon-handcart-tragedy-1856

Thanks for that link! I was aware of the Handcarters (saw markers along our route which yes, made us truly appreciate having an RV as we traveled difficult terrain) but not this particular bit of history. The strength of the human spirit blows my mind....

Your welcome! Very few of today’s population could even hope to survive what our early settlers endured! I’d like to think I could....but, I know better!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Well we are all just glamping along with how ever many horses are pulling your glamper!

That is what my glamperous wife says!

glampergator I mean navegator

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:

Great place to visit, people there are very knowledgeable about the tragedy and what took place.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
memtb wrote:

“Glamping” ,substantially raises the cost of Safari .....photo or firearm!

A goodly potion of that money is used for game conservation and attempting to stop local poachers! If it weren’t for the millions of $ going into the African economy, there would be no game left. Especially the elephants and the rhino!

While you can go bare bones (literally a popup tent and helping with the cooking)..."glamping" as I described is pretty much the standard Safari...though there are different levels within that.

I agree whole heatedly on funding...those spending money on a safari save far more wildlife than the guy watching NatGeo TV and tens of thousands on a hunt blow away the photo safari folks in terms of saving wildlife.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I'm offended by calling a photography tour a "safari". Should be called a Glasari.

But I'm okay with a 40' class A "camping" at Wallyworld.

The reality is, we've made up names like glamping because others criticize how we choose to camp.

All :W of course.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Maybe "glamping" is just a matter of degrees-of-comfort? When I went from a tent to a popup, it was sooooo nice! Then from a popup to a Class C? *swoon*

Many years ago, Ed and I were parked at a historic sight, where one could still see the ruts left behind from hundreds of covered wagons headed westward. Can you imagine what one of those pioneers would think about today's motorhomes??? Even the most basic camper would have blown their minds.....

clicky
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I know lots of folks who boondock in trailers. Are they glamping? I don't think so.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe "glamping" is just a matter of degrees-of-comfort? When I went from a tent to a popup, it was sooooo nice! Then from a popup to a Class C? *swoon*

Many years ago, Ed and I were parked at a historic sight, where one could still see the ruts left behind from hundreds of covered wagons headed westward. Can you imagine what one of those pioneers would think about today's motorhomes??? Even the most basic camper would have blown their minds.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
memtb wrote:

Now we’re onto something important! Was this a photo Safari, or did we get to enjoy the awesome smell of burned gunpowder? 😉 Either way, I hope that you enjoyed your “glamping”! :B

I have no issue with well regulated hunting but holy cow is it pricey, we have some friends who did and it was 5 figures for a wildebeast.

We did photo safari. Really pretty reasonably priced once you get there.

“Glamping” ,substantially raises the cost of Safari .....photo or firearm!

A goodly potion of that money is used for game conservation and attempting to stop local poachers! If it weren’t for the millions of $ going into the African economy, there would be no game left. Especially the elephants and the rhino!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
memtb wrote:

Now we’re onto something important! Was this a photo Safari, or did we get to enjoy the awesome smell of burned gunpowder? 😉 Either way, I hope that you enjoyed your “glamping”! :B

I have no issue with well regulated hunting but holy cow is it pricey, we have some friends who did and it was 5 figures for a wildebeast.

We did photo safari. Really pretty reasonably priced once you get there.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do we go so quickly from camping to religion, gun rights, military service, and reproductive rights?
I don't care.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Not deciding nuthin'. I am a camper. Not enough room in my pop-up TC for any more letters.

JM2¢ ~ YMMV

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
All this to decide a label from a 7 letter to a 8 letter word?:)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK