cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can y'all look at my weights for me?

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having some trouble understanding my owner's manual. We have a 2009 f250 with the 5.4L engine, 2WD. We went to the CAT scales today and got the whole rig weighed.
Steer axle 3820
Drive axle 4000
Gross wt. 12760

As best as I can understand, our weights are okay but the manual is confusing me.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!
17 REPLIES 17

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:

Equalizer. I believe it's the 10,000# one.

I do know that part of my problem is we flipped our rig 4 years ago and although none of us were badly hurt (truly a miracle, if you could have seen the TV and TT!) I have never been the same. I have towed since then and I do pretty well. I don't remember having so much anxiety. I don't know if it's just feeling all the movement or what. The truck we have is a work truck, very stripped down basic truck. Perhaps I'm just feeling some rocking due to sitting on vinyl seats rather than more generously padded seats. I'll have DH re-check our WDH and see if it needs adjusting. Maybe I'm just being a big fat weinie.

Given the trauma you have experienced, that is certainly possible. I would still recommend getting your complete weights. If you come back here with those weights, we can give you a strong sense of whether or not there is anything that seems off. If nothing else, it might give you some piece of mind that everything is set-up properly and rigged for safe travel.

Equalizer wont do anything for you if you don't have an adequate tow vehicle.
HR

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
So what do the weights tell you???? If you are interested in knowing what you can tow get the towing specs from the manufacturer. The weights you listed don't mean anything unless you have something to compare them to.
HR

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer

I do know that part of my problem is we flipped our rig 4 years ago and although none of us were badly hurt (truly a miracle, if you could have seen the TV and TT!) I have never been the same. I have towed since then and I do pretty well. I don't remember having so much anxiety. I don't know if it's just feeling all the movement or what. The truck we have is a work truck, very stripped down basic truck. Perhaps I'm just feeling some rocking due to sitting on vinyl seats rather than more generously padded seats. I'll have DH re-check our WDH and see if it needs adjusting. Maybe I'm just being a big fat weinie.

Given the trauma you have experienced, that is certainly possible. I would still recommend getting your complete weights. If you come back here with those weights, we can give you a strong sense of whether or not there is anything that seems off. If nothing else, it might give you some piece of mind that everything is set-up properly and rigged for safe travel.

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
I would spend a little more time examining your set-up. From the numbers you gave us, your trailer weight is probably somewhere in the 5,500-6,000 pound range (assuming the hitch is set up correctly). Getting pushed by the passing trucks is one thing, but it shouldn't be THAT significant, and I can't see why you'd be having any real problems with a 6k trailer in an F250 (we tow 8k with our 2500 Suburban, which has a shorter wheelbase, and have no issues at all).

I would suggest you go by the scale, again, and take two more passes (1 with the truck alone, and another with the trailer attached, but the WDH disconnected). These additional numbers would allow you to identify the exact weight of the trailer, the tongue, and the truck. You may have a WDH that is not properly set up, you may have a tongue weight that is too low and leading to sway, or you may have another load issue going on somewhere. With ALL of those numbers, you might be able to focus in on things that might help your towing experience.

I agree- something seems off about the setup.

For the original poster- here are some links that may help you:

1) How to Weigh Travel Trailer

2) Once you have weights, here's how to interpret them

I strongly suggest planning an afternoon at a CAT scale and spend $15-$30 ($10 for the first weighing, $2 for each additional one) to dial in your WDH. If you haven't already, you guys need to spend time with your instruction manual or reading some of the "howto" threads here to learn how to set it up.

What kind of weight distributing hitch do you have?

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
I would spend a little more time examining your set-up. From the numbers you gave us, your trailer weight is probably somewhere in the 5,500-6,000 pound range (assuming the hitch is set up correctly). Getting pushed by the passing trucks is one thing, but it shouldn't be THAT significant, and I can't see why you'd be having any real problems with a 6k trailer in an F250 (we tow 8k with our 2500 Suburban, which has a shorter wheelbase, and have no issues at all).

I would suggest you go by the scale, again, and take two more passes (1 with the truck alone, and another with the trailer attached, but the WDH disconnected). These additional numbers would allow you to identify the exact weight of the trailer, the tongue, and the truck. You may have a WDH that is not properly set up, you may have a tongue weight that is too low and leading to sway, or you may have another load issue going on somewhere. With ALL of those numbers, you might be able to focus in on things that might help your towing experience.

I agree- something seems off about the setup.

For the original poster- here are some links that may help you:

1) How to Weigh Travel Trailer

2) Once you have weights, here's how to interpret them

I strongly suggest planning an afternoon at a CAT scale and spend $15-$30 ($10 for the first weighing, $2 for each additional one) to dial in your WDH. If you haven't already, you guys need to spend time with your instruction manual or reading some of the "howto" threads here to learn how to set it up.

What kind of weight distributing hitch do you have?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, y'all. Sorry it took me so long to get back here. Work got in the way. The sticker says the GVWR is 9200#. It's good to know our weights are okay. This has not been an enjoyable trip for me. I'm just feeling every move and every sway. Honestly, I am already worked up about driving home...on Saturday. DH insists that what I'm feeling is normal blow-by from trucks and the wind. If I could, I would take the Greyhound and leave DH with the whole thing.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. Considering a small 5th wheel at this point. Or a small C. Anything to get out of this situation where I'm just holding on for dear life and praying we don't flip again. DH has been sweet about it but I'm sure he would be happier if I wasn't climbing the walls while he's driving.

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, y'all. Sorry it took me so long to get back here. Work got in the way. The sticker says the GVWR is 9200#. It's good to know our weights are okay. This has not been an enjoyable trip for me. I'm just feeling every move and every sway. Honestly, I am already worked up about driving home...on Saturday. DH insists that what I'm feeling is normal blow-by from trucks and the wind. If I could, I would take the Greyhound and leave DH with the whole thing.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. Considering a small 5th wheel at this point. Or a small C. Anything to get out of this situation where I'm just holding on for dear life and praying we don't flip again. DH has been sweet about it but I'm sure he would be happier if I wasn't climbing the walls while he's driving.

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I think you are OK but need a little
more info about the truck. What cab configuration?

Crew cab

Your truck has a 9400 GVWR and a 6100 rear axle rating. You are fine and have capacity to spare on all ratings.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I think you are OK but need a little
more info about the truck. What cab configuration?

Crew cab

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
You are way under all ratings. With the 3.73 axle the GCWR is 16K and your tow rating about 9800 lbs. Your GVWR should be about 9K and the RAWR at 6K.

I tow with a 2010 4X4 (rest is the same as you) at a scaled gross combined of 15,650 and am under all ratings.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are OK but need a little more info about the truck. What cab configuration?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, next time we stop ill check the door.

Yep, you're looking for a black & white sticker that gives your your GVWR and GAWRs (gross axle weight ratings).

I doubt you'll find the GCWR on a sticker, though.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
CampVirginia wrote:
By the calculations I'm seeing, It looks as if the trailer weighs 4,940 pounds?

4,940 PLUS some undefined pin weight. The 4940 is only what the trailer axles are carrying.

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, next time we stop ill check the door.

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F