cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon Monoxide detector

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Costar model 9-rv battery-operated CO detector that has gone bad after 6 1/2 years. I want to replace it, but they apparently don't make that model any more. What is my best bet to replace it with a new one that will not require any new holes or drilling in the ceiling?
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A
15 REPLIES 15

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is needed is a dual chamber detector that will detect CO and smoke from a slow smoldering fire such as may start in a R/V because of electrical fires and fast burning smokeless fires. It will fit where your old one was.

After a lot of research and talking to Kidde, they assured me that this one would work in a home and also A RV,there is no difference.

This is what I found.
A Kidde KN-COSM-XTR-BA Nighthawk
That seemed to be best suited for this kind of application.

Like This

They now can be bought at Home Depot, also At Amazon.

Home Depot

Amazon

I suggest you read all the info and make your decision on this but I replaced the ones in my Class C with this one.They are rated for 10 years
and most are only rated for 5,If your RV is older than 5 years old and they haven't been changed they are most likely no good. Mine needed to be replaced so this was a good deal for me, I had a hard wired one and I chucked it for the battery powered ones, they can be checked before each trip by pushing the test button in the center of the unit.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C