cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carlisle or Maxxis

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Going to replace my tires soon but I am trying to decide between Carlisle Radial Trail HD or the Maxxis 8008. 205/75R15, both D1 load rating. The trailer is maybe 6800-7000 lbs. loaded so I figure I don't need E rated. There is only $11 per tire difference in price so that's not the issue, I just find very few current reviews on either tire to help me make a decision on this. Help me out here please??
42 REPLIES 42

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Goodyear will be replacing the Marathon line with a new ST called Endurance made in the USA.
Supposed to be a far better tire if you can hold on a bit longer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Endurance

These new USA made Goodyears are looking promising. They also come with a higher speed rating than the basic ST tires.
I will consider them when I need new tires. I have had great service from Maxxis 8008's.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis for sure I will never buy the other after repeated failure of there tires
samsontdog:o:W

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
My Maxxis M8008 are made in Thailand and I don't care. This is the second trailer I've installed them on and they are by far the best ST tires I have ever used.
. Maxxis is an international company with a large variety of tire types sold in North America, from bicycles to extreme off road tires.
Their ST tires have a great reputation not only on this forum, but throughout the RV community.
Go with the Maxxis.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The only reason I asked is I can't find much info out there on either of them. People talk up Maxxis as the best, then I see posts of them having blowouts. I know, all tires will have blowouts. Roll the dice and go with whatever. Thanks all.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I have Carlisle and think they're great, but either are probably equally as good.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carlisle
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Carlisle ... last summer. 2nd trailer with Carlile's. I'm a very happy camper!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Another issue.......Maxxis is owned by Cheng Shin Rubber Co. Taiwan.

Carlisle...... Frankilin TN. (headquarters)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I run MAXXIS 8008 ST205/75R15-D and they have been perfect.
DURO bias and Denman both had issues.

Goodyear will be replacing the Marathon line with a new ST called Endurance made in the USA.
Supposed to be a far better tire if you can hold on a bit longer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Endurance

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis for sure. Had bad experiences with Carlisle.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have read where Carlisle has re-engineered their tires and are much better today. I just can't seem to find any/many current reviews on them. I have also read where Maxxis is having some problems of late but I can't seem to verify that either. Seems like there should be some kind of failure rate info out there somewhere. Must be top secret stuff the makers don't want out there in the public.

Any recommendations please provide some reasons as to why.

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis, IMHO

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either. A few years ago, I would have definitely said Maxxis. That's what I put on my trailer in '13. Back then Carlisle did not have a great reputation.

But from all I've read in recent years, Carlisle has done a great job of re-engineering their tire and it performs very, very well not.

If I had to put new tires on my trailer today, I would consider either one equally.

ken56 wrote:
Going to replace my tires soon but I am trying to decide between Carlisle Radial Trail HD or the Maxxis 8008. 205/75R15, both D1 load rating. The trailer is maybe 6800-7000 lbs. loaded so I figure I don't need E rated. There is only $11 per tire difference in price so that's not the issue, I just find very few current reviews on either tire to help me make a decision on this. Help me out here please??
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch