cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carpel Tunnel Surgery

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I have been putting off carpel tunnel surgery for over one year by using a brace at night but lately it has been getting a little worse. Has anybody had this procedure done and how was the recovery?
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}
31 REPLIES 31

Front_Range
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
Chris, ask the Doc about physical therapy. It helped me quite a bit.
Don

Don, she's really doing well. The muscle loss is due to nerve damage that is irreversible. She was told it would stop progression of the damage but has experienced a big improvement. The problem is that she put this off for a good 20 years. Our daughter is going in soon to get hers fixed before incurring the damage. Our kids learn from our mistakes!
Chris
2012 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19SBT Hybrid
2005 Toyota 4Runner

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Chris, ask the Doc about physical therapy. It helped me quite a bit.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD

Front_Range
Explorer
Explorer
My wife just got her stitches out today, she's thrilled with the surgery. I'm not sure what the accompanied elbow surgery was but it was done at the same time for similar reasons. She put it off for years and lost muscle as a result. The muscle won't come back but she's now looking forward to getting the other one fixed since it made such an improvement.
Chris
2012 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19SBT Hybrid
2005 Toyota 4Runner

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear!

they told me if I had any numbness in the coming years, to start a short course of Advil, but I haven't had any problems.
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Report back: It's been a week since the surgery. Now just a little bit of numbness at times. Took the bandage wrap off after 5 days and now just use a band-aid. Started therapy twice a week which helps a lot with the stiffness I had in the wrist. Stitches out next week and gradually increase strength exercises.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
Just a update, I have an appointment Monday with a recommended hand surgery. Probably waited a little too long but wife's health problems set me back. Everybody have a healthy and happy New Year.
Don

you too! Good luck with the surgery, it will go great I'm sure.

I put mine off years ago too as my mom was having difficulties, and I was dealing with that for about a year.

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with the surgery
1997 Pursuit class A

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
rkentzel wrote:

They are a little better but I still have some pain left hand swells a lot pain in fingers hands go dead asleep at night. I am hesitant to go back in and complain but I may have to. First one late 2010 next one march 2011

so, how are your hands now?? Hopefully, you got something done and are not totally disabled.

Unfortunately I am between this and numerous other medical problems.
1997 Pursuit class A

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Just a update, I have an appointment Monday with a recommended hand surgery. Probably waited a little too long but wife's health problems set me back. Everybody have a healthy and happy New Year.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
rkentzel wrote:
They are a little better but I still have some pain left hand swells a lot pain in fingers hands go dead asleep at night. I am hesitant to go back in and complain but I may have to. First one late 2010 next one march 2011

so, how are your hands now?? Hopefully, you got something done and are not totally disabled.

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
I have been putting off carpel tunnel surgery for over one year by using a brace at night but lately it has been getting a little worse. Has anybody had this procedure done and how was the recovery?
Don

DON'T put it off any longer. BEST thing I ever did. I waited too long though. the recovery was pretty easy for me. The only thing was getting up off a chair or the couch. I didn't realize how much I used my arms to get up. Regarding shoes, get slip ons.

do it. You won't be sorry. if you wait too long, permanent nerve damage can result.

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
1997 Pursuit class A

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
rkentzel wrote:
Hope yours goes better than mine. They removed a lot of tissue as I had severe Carpal tunnel both hands. The pain the first hand was horrible I should have taken pain pills sooner. Second time took the pain pills sooner learned from the first. I sure as heck would not do both at the same time. Six months later had emg still have it not doing it again.

How are your hands now after the surgery?
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
Hope yours goes better than mine. They removed a lot of tissue as I had severe Carpal tunnel both hands. The pain the first hand was horrible I should have taken pain pills sooner. Second time took the pain pills sooner learned from the first. I sure as heck would not do both at the same time. Six months later had emg still have it not doing it again.
1997 Pursuit class A