cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A stuck next to house!

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous rig was a 25' travel trailer. We kept it parked next to the house since 2011, when we moved in. Zero issues moving it.

Late last year, we bought a used 35' Class A. It fits nicely next to the house too. When I had the fence installed, I specified a 14' wide RV gate with a welded aluminum frame on the back to help with sagging.

All was well for months. Last week I went to gas it up prior to Hurricane Dorian approaching our area. I made it about 20', and the rear axle sank.

We're in FL. Our property has about a foot of topsoil on sand. Drainage is usually pretty good. There was no visible standing water that day.

Once it dug a hole, there was no getting it out. I jacked it up, put pavers and wood under the rear tires. I could get it to move forward some, but never get up out of the trench it had created.

We have Progressive RV insurance. After a couple of hours of effort, I called them. This was covered under our policy since it was within a 100' of pavement. They sent a big tow truck, pulled us to dry land.

Now I have to contact a paving company for ideas. We have buried utilities in that area, so I don't want a solid concrete pad. Maybe crushed rock with pavers on top, or two 4' wide concrete strips for the tires, the rest filled in with gravel. Still researching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglAhQECRF0

I'll be a lot more cautious where I travel off road after this experience.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/
17 REPLIES 17

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Try these:

TurfStone concrete pavers
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
FL.........
Crushed oyster shells

Sisters driveway is over 300 feet from road and is hard packed dirt then covered in crushed oyster shells.
Works great.

SHell driveways etc
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Wow.