cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C and towing.

Lakelady48
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Florida for the winter with our 1500 Silverado truck and have found a motor home we want to buy and bring back home - 1500 miles. The motor home is a Four Winds 24C, Chevy 4500 chassis, V8. My husband wants to stiff hitch the truck home and I flatly refuse, saying it's not safe and can damage the transmission or motor. Just because the motor home has a 5000# hitch, it doesn't necessarily mean it can tow a 4000# truck, especially with an adjustable tow bar from Amazon. Please help.

Sorry, should have posted in towing.
2007 Chevy Silverado
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express 24RBS
20 REPLIES 20

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Read the owners manual for the Silverador, under recreational or towing behind a MH, if it says no, question answered.
I would believe NADA that the actual weight of the Silverado is over 5000lbs, our 4cyl CRV weighs over 3500lbs, no way the truck is only 4000lbs.

If it is towable 4 down, with or without modifications, I would be more worried about the handling and braking of the MH, than the MHs engine and transmission. One unplanned emergency maneuver or braking event.?? nobody every cuts off or pulls out in front of a MH.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Lakelady48
Explorer
Explorer
NADA says truck weighs 5245. Maybe that will convince him it's a bad idea.
2007 Chevy Silverado

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
have your husband tow the untowable truck and we can start a pool here as to the miles before the tranny blows up, an over/under I will take 1,000 miles
bumpy

Lakelady48
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the motor home has a 6.0L motor.
2007 Chevy Silverado

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I do not believe your pick up can be towed four down. You could pull the drive shaft and should be OK.
You do not say what motor is in the MH. If it is a small block 6.0, it can handle it, but be careful on hills. Take your time and not try to do speed limit.
"Stiff hitch"? you must mean four down with tow bar?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
is the truck towable 4 down? what does the owner's manual say? if the truck is actually 4,000 lbs. it will be a load on that RV. my "adjustable tow bar" is rated for 10,000 lbs. so don't cheap out on the towbar.
bumpy