cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning the black water tank

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 06 Holiday Rambler Admiral. I have owned it for 3 years and the black water tank has never drained completely.

Out side, where you dump the tank, there is a hook up for a hose that is supposed to flush the tank. When I hook up the hose and turn the water on nothing happens. I have the tank drain open and no water comes out.

The tank gauge always reads 1/2 full and there always seems to be something in the tank when you look in it.

I tried putting in 20 pounds of ice on my last trip. I read that it would slosh around and free up anything that was caught in there. It seems to have made no difference.

Anyone out here have any ideas?
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
21 REPLIES 21

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
Id fill it up with dish soap and maybe some type of unclogging chemical. Then go drive around for a bit. Then drain it and go from there.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, because the tank always has a bow or low spot in it, it will always look like it has liquid in it. (Edit, I see that was covered in the last post) The gauge reading full is probably due to toilet paper stuck on the sensors. Once you get the tank flusher working the gauges should read correctly. All they are is terminals that provide an electrical path through the water. There are 4 or 5 terminals depending on how your gauge reads. I'm betting it empty and the gauges are giving false readings.

If you can't get the rinser working they do sell a wand you put down inside the toilet that has a sprayer on the end. It's a bit more intrusive and possibly messy but they work!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the last dump of a trip I elevate the side opposite the drain two to three inches.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to actually verify the tank is not draining completely.

"The tank gauge always reads 1/2 full and there always seems to be something in the tank when you look in it."

Tank gauges are notoriously wrong. And looking in the tank all you will see is "wetness". Stick something in the tank so you can actually measure how much water is in it. A small amount on the bottom is no big deal (1-inch ยฑ). Several inches (2 or more) is cause to figure out what the problem is.

A bow in the bottom of the tank is quite normal and may hold an inch or two of water that will never drain. More than that may indicate something is blocking the outlet (or it may indicate you have a larger bow in the bottom - on an eleven year old unit that may be entirely possible).

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 'spray nozzle' holes are plugged up
OR
The 'anti-siphon vacuum breaker backflow' device is not opening

'Vac Breaker......typically under bathroom sink

'Nozzle'....thru side of black tank

Disconnecting lines at Vac Breaker and then pouring CLR, Lime away, etc down hose to nozzle and letting it sit MAY free up clogged holes.
Some nozzles (if accessible) can be removed from tank

Hose connecting to bottom is from the hookup on side of RV
Hose connecting to the side is going to nozzle

ICE.......
Doesn't do anything. It's just expensive water

Being a 'used' rig.....unknown history buy a bottle of UNIQUE Digester
Treat black tank and then drain/flush to remove any left behind stuff
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Out side, where you dump the tank, there is a hook up for a hose that is supposed to flush the tank. When I hook up the hose and turn the water on nothing happens.
Ok, is there a twist valve you need to turn?

Not that I see. Its just a 3/4 inch hose connection
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Out side, where you dump the tank, there is a hook up for a hose that is supposed to flush the tank. When I hook up the hose and turn the water on nothing happens.
Ok, is there a twist valve you need to turn?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman