cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Closed Trailers

Schmick2016
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone tow their vehicle in a closed trailer? Need advise as what to expect on the road and in finding places to stay. We are planing to go full-time and would appreciate any advise.
9 REPLIES 9

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Schmick...since you ask, I will say that a lot of the people that respond here have never trailered a vehicle. I towed a car 4 down for several years. It is easier than trailering, but I am retired and have plenty of time to do whatever, so here is why I like an enclosed trailer.

I can take more than just one vehicle. I also bring a side by side ATV, bicycles, and a tool box with several power tools. The trailer gives me a "garage" to take care of any upgrades or repairs that I might deem necessary or just want to do it. When I arrive at my site, both vehicles are clean and do not get any wear and tear while traveling.

I can back up if I end up in a tight situation or get blocked in by inconsiderate people. That has happened.

Also, the trailer tracks the same tire path as the motorhome, so avoiding potholes and other road obstacles is easy. When towing 4 down, it is almost impossible for both the motorhome and the towed vehicle to avoid a pothole unless you are really good at swerving, which I wouldn't recommend.

It's really pretty easy and I have gotten pretty fast at loading and securing the vehicles in the trailer.

Don't worry about it as there are lots of options available when looking for a place to stay. I might mention, I don't sweat the small stuff. Some people make a big deal out of a little extra effort. To me, trailering is worth the extra effort.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Schmick2016
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much, I was getting a little discourage by some of the other posts. We will be part timing for now and full time in a couple of years. Any other advise you have to share is greatly appreciated.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Schmick...We usually stay in private RV parks, but not because of the trailer. Most sites in state and federal parks cannot even accommodate a 40' motorhome by itself.

The private RV parks usually have larger sites, easier access, and an overflow area if necessary, for the trailer.

Sometimes we call an RV park ahead of time and make sure they have sites big enough(65'). Other times, we park on the side of a road or in a large parking lot, unload the van and personally check out area RV parks first hand.

We use the GS RV directory too, as it tells the length of sites in each park. So far, the trailer hasn't been a problem and we have a nice clean car and ATV when we get to our destination.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Schmick2016
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1. Thank you. That is encouraging. We too will be towing a vehicle and an ATV. We figured there was going to be some obstacles in finding a place to stay. Do you typically park in private rv parks or what?

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a 22' enclosed trailer behind a 40' MH. I have not had any problems finding a site big enough for this combination, although I did have to move the trailer to an overflow parking area one time.

I haul a GMC Safari van(raised roof conversion) and a side by side ATV. The van has a hitch on it so that I can use it to move the trailer if necessary. As stated, I have only have to do that once, but I think it is mandatory that the vehicle being hauled has a hitch on it. I must admit, the sliding door on the van does make it easier than a car to get out of the vehicle when inside the trailer.

A trailer is not the easiest way to bring a car when traveling, but we wanted to bring the ATV too. There always seems to be a trade-off depending on what each individual wants.

One advantage to towing a trailer is that I don't have to be quite as concerned when pulling into a crowded fuel station are a tight parking lot since I am able to back up if necessary.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Total size is the issue a friend has.
He tows his SmartCar inside the cargo trailer that is also his shop.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we started with a MH, we were interested in an enclosed trailer, but in addition to the hassel of where to park it, I couldn't figure out how I was going to get into or out of the car once it was in the trailer. I parked our car in our 8' wide garage door (the same width as most enclosed trailers) and I couldn't get in or out of the car door. The only way I could do it was to climb out of the window. I could just see myself slipping inside of the trailer, breaking a leg, and getting wedged in there waiting for the rescue squad to show up. Bought a Jeep Wrangler and tow it 4 down. Much better.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our sports car around in an enclosed trailer for awhile, but it didn't work too well. The sports car couldn't pull the trailer to a separate trailer lot and the pull through wasn't long enough or we weren't able to pull into it or out without dropping the trailer.

Bottom line is we found it too limiting to pull a trailer with a vehicle in it. Out west it was somewhat easier because sites were usually larger.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen some come into RV Parks/Campgrounds and the biggest issues is finding a spot to park the trailer. For example the park we are currently staying in has very few guest parking spots and restrict parking in those spots to motorized vehicles. The sites are big enough for a MH and Toad, but not big enough to also park an enclosed trailer. The RVers with the enclosed trailers end up parking the trailer outside of the park on a street. So they run the risk of the trailer being stolen. Some parks have an RV storage area or overflow section but will charge you a fee to park the trailer.

It's rare to see a park with sites big enough to handle the MH, enclosed trailer and toad all on one site.

By the way the vehicles being carried in the trailers have been equipped with a hitch so it can be used to move the enclosed trailer around once the vehicle has been unloaded.