cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cross country tandem Towing

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
I am contemplating a cross-country move in 2019 as a one time trip. I would be towing a TT with a 21 foot bass tournament boat behind the TT.

I am familiar with states that allow tandem towing and some of the restrictions (lengths, certification, weight, etc.) for those states. Still I have heard of folks that have been doing it for years and those are who I am asking this question.

Have any of you folks had any difficulties, legalwise with your travels cross country while tandem towing?

Any recommendations or advice, other than tow equipment, to go about this?

My route would be from Delaware to Oregon as final destination for just this one trip.

Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
old guy wrote:
I know Oregon does not allow it but I have seen units from Idaho, which does allow it, drive through Oregon on the freeways

I have made the trip SoCal to NW WA and back two times, 4 separate trips with no problem going thru OR and WA. I am licensed SD so maybe that has helped.

Towing a TT VS 5er is a completely different animal, not legal in many more places.

Leaving WA a few days ago.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
A gamble. You will likely be able to make the entire trip without any issue. BUT. You may also be unlucky and get stopped along the way and have to drop the boat, tow the travel trailer farther down the road, go back for the boat, go forward and hook the TT back up, and proceed hoping it doesn't happen again. Or really unlucky, may happen multiple times. I would avoid heavy travel times when traffic enforcement patrols are more likely. Have never double towed. But we have driven for hours at a time and never see an LEO. And other times seems there is one every few miles.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
To start with it is illegal in your home state, but rarely enforced. Only state in the east coast where it is legal is Md.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I know Oregon does not allow it but I have seen units from Idaho, which does allow it, drive through Oregon on the freeways

I've seen a few on oregon freeways, but at least in eastern oregon I've seen my share of folks at a rest stop with OSP behind them. Usually near the Idaho or Washington border. And when I've seen that, the nearest rest stop seems to have a few boats parked and locked up.

Hum...... In oregon if you do get caught it's a ticket and I believe they require you to drop before you can move. I suspect the set up stings near a rest stop.

And even if you could more than likely you'd be over the oregon length limit as well.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I too have seen illegal double towing, old guy. Follow each stateโ€™s laws when in the state. Be a good, law abideing guest.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
These reasons are why I got a TC for when Iโ€™m pulling my bass boat. I leave my 5th wheel at home and use the TC. But, Iโ€™ve got a 3500 so I can do both. Good luck

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
jerryjay11 wrote:

Any recommendations or advice, other than tow equipment, to go about this?

My route would be from Delaware to Oregon as final destination for just this one trip.

Thanks in advance.

It's pretty much impossible to get cross country like this. None of the midwest states allow it unrestricted. Michigan requires an endorsement. Most only allow it with a 5th wheel, the rest have short length limits. Only when you hit Wyoming/Utah will you be in the clear. Until Oregon, as mentioned. Can't do it in OR/WA, so you'd have to leave the boat in Boise or Ontario (which is in Oregon, but the local PD won't bother out of staters with doubles that close to Idaho).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Not worth the hassle. Look at something like the Eide boat loader or get a rack that will put the boat and trailer over the bed of your pickup.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is most states require that the front trailer be a fifth wheel.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
In AZ the front trailer must be a 5th wheel. Similar in other states.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OR does not allow it. You may end up dropping a trailer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker