Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did my Andersen No-Sway WDH do this???

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Or did the trailer service center?

I'm not sure, what caused it, but after hooking up last night I noticed chunks of aluminum on the ground under my setup. I had just got my trailer back from service where they move trailers around with fork lifts, so maybe they somehow banged into it? Did the Andersen hitch plate somehow do it? Totally confused, and looking for your thoughts....

Note: Moderator edit to redo picture urls for enlargement.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T
73 REPLIES 73

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Andersen did send me the custom plate. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, however. I did go camping once since the frame was repaired. I towed about 600 miles with the old plate that rubs. There was not damage to the newly welded frame.

Here is a picture of the custom plate Andersen sent me. ๐Ÿ™‚

2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
My point is that this should be a change on all units.

Ken

Good point,and maybe this will provoke that change which is why I even told them about it.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
My point is that this should be a change on all units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
As a note, the plate CAN MOVE a bit relative to the trailer frame. The plate is confined by the chains, but it has the urethane bushings which do allow a small amount of frame movement without the plate moving. It would be a good thing if Andersen removed a bit of metal and notch it to allow for some movement..

Ken

If you see my post a few posts back you'll see Andersen is making me a custom plate notched out, so it won't hit the frame.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
As a note, the plate CAN MOVE a bit relative to the trailer frame. The plate is confined by the chains, but it has the urethane bushings which do allow a small amount of frame movement without the plate moving. It would be a good thing if Andersen removed a bit of metal and notch it to allow for some movement..

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the update.

I'd also suggest sending photos to Andersen of the top of your hitch. From what I saw it looked like the red friction material is possibly starting to fail on the truck/front side of the top.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear the mystery is solved!

Sounds like Anderson is a good company to work with as well!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

I finally picked up my VRV XTR from the service center. They were doing some warranty work, and had it for a month. They also fixed the frame. I finally solved the puzzle. They admitted that it was the forklift that did the damage. He showed me the forklift, and it wasn't typical with two forks or whatever you call them. It had one single fork with a ball on the end. Prior to this incident it had 90 deg. bends at the ball end which ripped into the frame. Now they modified the fork by shaving the corners of the fork and rounded them. Anyway, here is a pic of the fixed frame.

Also, I asked Andersen if they could modify my WDH to so that it would not rub my frame. They asked for pics, and agreed to make me a modified plate with a notch out of it that will be 3" x 5". This should keep the frame from hitting the plate. They are going to ship it to me soon hopefully.

It was nice to finally find out what I suspected which was there was no way that hitch could do that damage. ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
shooted wrote:
Hi OP,
Any answers or conclusion on this?

Not really, but the RV dealer said the would fix it witoit me even asking them to. A lot of opinions including my own. While I don not think the hitch plate caused the tear, I am sure it's not a good thing to have the plate rubbing on the bottom of the frame.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

shooted
Explorer
Explorer
Hi OP,
Any answers or conclusion on this?

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the majority that the Andersen hitch plate in no way caused the damaged/torn weld. It it, in fact, rubbing the bottom of the frame, but that's it. My money is on the damage coming from the fork truck they likely used at the shop.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
It's also a induced weakness...reduction of the fork tips cross section

What my shop guys used to do and now thinking about that...lifting a 5K traction
motor with the tip...'cuz it was too far on the tire stand...lifting and pushing
stuff around the sheetmetal shop's back storage area 'cuz there was not enough room...

Am anal about safety stuff and this was missed by me...accident waiting to happen
at the right/wrong time...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

shakyjay
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
BTW, most larger RV dealer don't mount the ball directly to the folks. It violates both ANSI and OSHA standards, which means if they lease their forklifts it will be explicitly not allowed by the forklift dealer (to the point the larger chains won't even service them if the forks are modified). Fork adapter simply work better because they are less likely to interfere, and they will work with customers hitches like a Hensley.

Technically it does not violate either ANSI or OSHA standards "IF" the proper approvals have been obtained. The following link is a reply from OSHA on the subject. The OSHA reply does however point out other hazards of using a forklift in this manner. Some of these hazards are the same as what has been discussed here; fork extending beyond ball and beneath trailer tongue, unevenness of road surface etc.

OSHA Letter

I can't say whether most larger dealers do or don't use this method however as you have pointed out there are other approved attachments. Using these attachments would make it easier to comply with all of the regulations.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

As for the weld quality on the tongue...disagree...it is indicative of the whole
trailer's welding quality. Or potential for other spots to have this kind of
weld quality, IMHO

It could be. But remember this is production line work. Maybe welding on the end caps is where the apprentice workers start out ๐Ÿ˜‰ My point is... using a non-structural weld as a reference may not be a indicative of the rest of the trailer.

BTW - Before I bought my weekend warrior, I had also looked at Raptor Toy Haulers. Some bad welds on the tongue caught my attention. I decided to crawl underneath to inspect the chassis welds. Same non-penetrating bubble gum welds everywhere else too. That was enough to cross Raptor trailers off my list.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST