cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Difference between Hydo and Aqua?

L_farmer
Explorer
Explorer
We are trying to understand our system in our new to us coach and are trying to figure out the difference between Aqua and Hydro. Is it just a different name or do they work different?
14 REPLIES 14

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Hydro Comes from a GREEK word for water

Aqua comes from a Latin word for water.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
In Canada they call the electricity hydro, because it is generated by water in a HYDROELECTRIC turbine and generator normally situated at the base of a water dam, some times the generating facility will be at the base of a valley and the water source above the valley, water being delivered by large pipes.

navegator

I always assumed that was the reason, though I see 60 miles-worth of wind turbines here in Southern Ontario from Windsor out towards Niagara Falls... I wonder what percentage of Canada's electricity actually comes from hydroelectric sources?

Off-topic... Sorry...

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
In Canada they call the electricity hydro, because it is generated by water in a HYDROELECTRIC turbine and generator normally situated at the base of a water dam, some times the generating facility will be at the base of a valley and the water source above the valley, water being delivered by large pipes.

navegator

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the question has already been answered, but when I read the OP's question, what came to mind was being in Canada where they often call the electricity 'Hydro' (no clue why that is?!)... So in my head, I took it to mean Water (Aqua) and Electricity (Hydro)...

Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT run diesel burner till the fuel leak is fixed as mentioned above.

Fuel leaking from the exhaust hole in the floor can come from several sources.

Leaking from the fuel line connections under the burner is one. If it has run fine till recently, this is probably not the source. Plus there would be no fuel dampness up in the burner unless the fuel banjo bolt in the side of the fuel pump is loose and damp. If that is the source, remove the banjo bolt, replace the copper crush washers and reinstall.

Leaking from the threads of the fuel nozzle is another. Upon removing the burner, the photo disc that surrounds the nozzle would be damp with fuel under the nozzle and the exhaust would be emitting white smoke. If no smoke, this is probably not the source.

A leaking fuel pump shaft seal is a really good source. Fuel would leak inside the case, drip out the fuel line grommet holes down onto the pan and out the exhaust hole.

A new pump retails for $387.30, labor of an hour to maybe two. While the burner is out, clean combustion chamber and replace the nozzle. Reassemble and check for proper operation.

If you can slid over to the Houston area, I will be happy to fix it. But there are several good AH folks in Florida that will do a good job.

John Carrillo, mentioned above, is an outstanding Aqua Hot repair person for you folks out west.
1995 Foretravel U320 40'
Cummins M11 400HP Allison 4060R

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've mentioned this before but in my Vogue, I have the Webasto System, the early model's of the Hydro/Aqua hot systems made by Vehicle System's. Being in So Calif, when it stopped working properly, I didn't think such about fixing it...that is until my first time in Quartzsite.
Long story short, it was up and running in a few seconds once I had the right guy working on it. Since it had not been used in years, I did have a few items replaced and completely serviced(roughly 350.00 including a new nozzle, fuel filter, heat exchanger and thermal switch). Works perfectly now. The authorized service person was John Carrillo......if anyone needs his info, PM me. He hits most of the South West Rallies and events.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I really would not use it until you have it serviced- a friend had his Aquahot burn his coach up- more than a year and $250K and it never was right.
-- Chris Bryant

L_farmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Trainer for the good info! Do you know why there would be fuel dripping around the exhaust pipe when the diesel burner is on? It is not coming out through it but coming out under the coach where the pipe comes through the floor. We are going thursday to get it serviced but curious what it is

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Rollnhome wrote:
:S

Is there an answer in there somewhere?

My thoughts exactly. If you don't get it, don't be concerned about it
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Aqua Hot and Hydro Hot heaters are made by the same company, Aqua Hot Heating Systems of Fredrick, Co.

At the time of manufacture of your Hydro Hot heater, the Aqua Hot had a 16 gallon coolant tank while the smaller Hydro Hot had a 5 gallon coolant tank. They were made at the original plant in Ft Lupton, Co.

Today at the new plant the AHE 600 series (600D, 675D) is the 16 gallon large heater while the AHE 400 series (400LP,400D, 450D) is the 5 gallon heater.

The large heater will heat water and the interior at the same time. The small heater will heat hot water OR heat the interior. It favors heating hot water and will stop heating the interior during hot water use. When hot water use stops, it returns to interior heating.

Trainer
1995 Foretravel U320 40'
Cummins M11 400HP Allison 4060R

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:

Is there an answer in there somewhere?
-- Chris Bryant

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I believe HydroHot and AquaHot are the same- they just changed the name.
-- Chris Bryant

Waco_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Aqua is a larger unit, with the hydro your furnace will cut off when you run hot water....Bruce
  • Bruce & Sandy
  • 07 Scepter 42PDQ SOLD
  • 2018 Coachmen Leprechaun 26DS Chevy