cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Different States Length of Trailer Laws

Everitt
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are getting ready to purchase a new fifth wheel trailer and I noticed that states have different maximum length of trailer laws. What happens if your trailer is longer than the maximum length of trailer law for a state you wish to traveling in?
34 REPLIES 34

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never seen or heard of an RV being measured, but there are several places I know of that have a 65' limit, but that is posted for commercial Semi's, they get measured in combo, from the front bumper of the tractor to the rear bumper of the trailer.
Now, Having said that, I am not an LEO or an Attorney.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

dfletch
Explorer
Explorer
Good question we purchased our 42โ€™ 5th wheel in June in NC which has a limit of 35โ€™ we drove it home to VA where 42โ€™โ€™ is OK.
David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Tx, 65 ft. Total truck & trailer hooked up. I have seen folks dbl tow 5er & a boat that looked way longer & never seen or heard of anyone around here getting measured.
Also check your states drivers license requirement. If you have your states proper class then your good in all states.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with ktmrfs on rare ticketing for over length RVs but if you have an accident, someone is injured and you are over the limit....it isn't going to be pretty.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Everitt wrote:
My wife and I are getting ready to purchase a new fifth wheel trailer and I noticed that states have different maximum length of trailer laws. What happens if your trailer is longer than the maximum length of trailer law for a state you wish to traveling in?

First, max length AFAIK in all states is overall length, not spoecific to trailer length.

Next, in theory you could be ticketed, most or all states don't follow reciprocity for length. In reality it's not likely to be an issue.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone that has been stopped for being overlength, what instigated the stop, and what the results were.

I suppose if you were stopped for something else, speeding etc. and the officer decided you weren't co operating, then they might at overlength to the infraction.

My combo, with bikes on the back is 65ft. that is the legal limit in Oregon on major roads. Many secondary roads we travel on have a 55ft limit. Never had an issue. Likewise we have been through states that have limits less than 65 ft and never an issue.

Likewise I have seen several rigs in Oregon campgrounds that are clearly in violation of the 65ft overall length.

The MUCH MUCH bigger issue for us is making sure we can get the trailer into the campground and into the spot we want. Length is a MUCH bigger issue in campgrounds!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!