cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy Towing

TeddyCleo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a rookie. Please advise whether a 2013 VW Beetle is flat towable as a dinghy. If not, why not? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I looked in my Jetta's manual, and there is quite a lengthy section about emergency towing. It even describes in some detail how to "redneck tow" either a Jetta or another vehicle. It does say that if the Jetta is an automatic to limit towing to 30 mph and 30 miles. It makes no mention of any restrictions with a manual transmission but at the same time it doesn't say you can tow unrestricted.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

TeddyCleo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I did go to a dealer. A very helpful and honest sales person let me look through the manuals for several VW's. They say nothing about towing with all wheels down. We then spoke with a service manager, who said that if the manual doesn't say you can do it, don't do it. Enough said. Also REMCO does not list the Beetle as towable.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Volkswagen does not say anything about recreational towing in their manuals. And they (Volkswagen of America) are one of those auto manufacturers that will do anything to get out of a warranty issue. It may be towable, but be forewarned if they know your towing it. It may depend on the service manager. There are many towing Jetta, which is basically the same platform, and they are in the same boat.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
TeddyCleo wrote:
I'm a rookie. Please advise whether a 2013 VW Beetle is flat towable as a dinghy. If not, why not? Thanks.

Don't see it here... http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/pdf/DinghyGuide2013.pdf
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

Did you try Remco for an answer to your question?

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Roadmaster makes tow brackets for a 2013 VW bug - 2.5 hardtop, no turbo. Blue Ox doesn't. So, maybe. Best bet is to read through the owner's manual for the car and see what the manufacturer says. DON'T ask a salesperson. Read the book.

In most cases, the ability to tow four down depends on the design of the transmission or transaxle.

But if the mfr doesn't say you can, and you try it, there's no warranty coverage when the whole thing blows up.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.