cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dingy braking - do, did, or won't

vandave
Explorer
Explorer
How many tow a vehicle without supplemental brakes? Please, don't turn me into DOT and I know the State "requirements". Car weighs less than 4,000 lbs. I'm just asking how many do it or have done it. Thanks your replies; I do, I did, I won't.
Vanda and Dave Ludwig (Vandave) Spoiled King Charles Spaniel, Ultra spoiled Cock-a-Poo
51 REPLIES 51

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it was just the bumps kept sending it into error .
Tried everything made a box for it and , with or without feet,
made seat blocking etc.
Don
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how much they help but I just feel better knowing that I have one and have done as much as I can do for safety!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Don's Lock wrote:
What happens if your brake system locks up and diistroys your wheels etc.

Did you have the car set up correctly for towing? The correct key position?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
Patriot brake system! Never worked properly from day one?
Don
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Don's Lock wrote:
It happen to me , I use the brake unit all the time and get errors all the time.
So I then get frustrated and shut the beepin thing off and drive on.
I have used it since 2006 . New toad under 3000 going carry on towing without.
Don

Henny Penny, the sky might fall. get errors all the time? what brake unit do you use?
bumpy

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
It happen to me , I use the brake unit all the time and get errors all the time.
So I then get frustrated and shut the beepin thing off and drive on.
I have used it since 2006 . New toad under 3000 going carry on towing without.
Don
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
98Evo wrote:
How many of you have pulled a boat on a single or tandem axle trailer that has no brakes? Yet insist on a braking system.

my small boat trailer had no braking. my larger trailers did. don't know the breaking point.
bumpy

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJsfishin wrote:
What ?? Is this for real ??
If you rear end someone, there would be NO question, you are automatically at fault for driving w/ undo caution, namely, following too close. It makes no difference what conditions mite have caused it, you are at fault, period !

That is a common belief, but it's simply not true. There may be a presumption that the person who rear-ends someone is at fault, but it's only that--a presumption, which can be overcome. There is no automatic declaration of fault.

98Evo
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you have pulled a boat on a single or tandem axle trailer that has no brakes? Yet insist on a braking system.
2009 Seneca
07 Harley Ultra

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Keep in mind the main rule of any insurance company is to find a way not to pay and leave you holding the bag. If you go without you better go through your insurance policy with a fine tooth comb and be able to understand all the insurance legal speak or you could loose everything you own.

Where on your insurance policy do you find anything that even addresses the use of auxiliary braking? What company do you have? I want to research that - I may change companies.

You have just proven my point. If you have a accident and do not have auxiliary braking and it is or is not required by law are you covered or not Could they claim you were knowingly operating a vehicle in an unsafe condition and deny the claim I have no idea. My point was and is that insurance companies will look for any loophole to keep from paying a claim. You might be smarter than I am and understand every thing in your policy but I know I do not. The cost for auxiliary breaking for that reason alone not counting that it makes you, your family and those on the road with you safer IMHO is worth it.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Keep in mind the main rule of any insurance company is to find a way not to pay and leave you holding the bag. If you go without you better go through your insurance policy with a fine tooth comb and be able to understand all the insurance legal speak or you could loose everything you own.

Where on your insurance policy do you find anything that even addresses the use of auxiliary braking? What company do you have? I want to research that - I may change companies.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

mksmts
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a RAV4 two wheel drive two door and used our Brake Buddy. Now tow a smart car (1800 lb s) so seldom use it.
05 Winnebago Journey 32T
Toyota RAV4 2wd toad

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I did for several a number of years ago until on one trip I had two panic stops in which I **** near did not get stopped for either one. One panic stop was in Denver traffic the other on a two lane highway when another RV pulled onto the road right in front of me with an oncoming car in the other lane. I got a brake buddy before our next trip. Used it ever since.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler