cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Distribution hitches ??????

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
looking for some opinions about weight distribution hitches.... Bought a used TT, 2004 28foot loaded tops 5000lbs... Have a 2012 ram 1500 short bed, hemi. When i bought it the guy gave me to distribution hitches for it..

1st one is one of those chain type distribution hitches like like pictured here.... IT IS NOT THIS HITCH, JUST THIS STYLE WITH THE CHAINS.

chain type

2nd, is a equalizer type hitch where u have the square bars that connect to the trailer as in the 2nd picture...THIS IS NOT THE HITCH I HAVE JUST SHOWING THE STYLE I AM TALKING ABOUT...

square type distribution

So my question is which one of the hitches is better to use for my set up as listed above? Any opinion as to what might be the better type of hitch between the two???? What is your preference? any opinions would be helpful
thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
What Bikendan said. I have had both also and I like my current Equal-I-zer brand hitch over my old chain type BECAUSE of the integrated sway control. The weak link here is the friction sway bar that has to be attached to the A-frame and I find them to be less effective at controlling sway than the integrated sway control with the Equal-I-zer brand.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Most people seem to say the Equalizer type is better.

I have the chain type, works fine for me.

That is a good size trailer, so you are right to be figuring out a good weight distributing hitch for it. Have you actually weighed it? I wouldn't be surprised if it was well over 5,000lbs.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Equal-i-zer is a brand name, not a type. it has trunnion bars and no chains.
it has 4 point integrated sway control.
it's so popular, its name has become a term for a WDH, like Kleenex for tissue paper.

the other WDH needs an add-on friction sway bar or two of them.

i own an Equal-i-zer so i'm a bit prejudiced. i'm not a fan of the old technology WDHs like the first one. plus you'll need to drill into the A-frame with the cheap one. the Equal-i-zer doesn't require any drilling.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes