cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do tires have to be changed at a certain age?

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
We took our 5er to the local RV dealer because a branch fell over the winter and cracked a vent cover. Currently fixed with duct tape!

He said he is an inspection station and will have to check the tires and read the sidewalls to see if they are too old and have to be replaced! Is this real or is he trying to rip me off! We live in Maryland and the tires look fine, plenty of tread and the sidewalls are in no way cracked.
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL
33 REPLIES 33

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Last year one of my OEM tires (dated January '06) developed a slow leak from long thin cracks in the middle of the sidewall that ran part way around the tire. I swapped that one with the spare to finish out the year, and this spring replaced all 5 tires. I noticed before doing so that another had developed similar leaks over the winter. These tires had about 30k miles on them and the tread might have been good for another 10k.

They do go bad just from age, but it takes a while. The replaced tires, as of this January, were 7 years old with 5 years on the road (and probably should have been replaced when 6 years old).

Just FYI: If you do have a tire fail, the other tire on that side will be over-stressed from having to carry all of the load and should also be replaced.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Would have been nice if Sandy & Shirley had come back and told us what happened. I think Maryland is a inspection state when you buy or sell a vehicle only. And you have to call to schedule a appointment according to the States web page.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/58000ASE/58000-01T.htm#appendixA
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
wandering1 wrote:
He is trying to rip you off. Check with the tire manufacturer if you have questions about your tires and want the facts,

I wish someone offered to inspect my tires last year. My tires had dry rot and I did know it, one exploded in NJ, another one blew up in SC 30 miles from home, and the third one blew in GA.

With the first two I thought the RV was overloaded, The 3rd one happened with all tanks empty and the RV almost empty.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

Supreme_Oppress
Explorer
Explorer
Having to do a tire inspection in order to replace a cracked vent sounds fishy.
2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
He is trying to rip you off. Check with the tire manufacturer if you have questions about your tires and want the facts,
HR

J2
Explorer
Explorer
Did you take it in for a inspection if no tell them to blow off.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
11.14.05.05.htm

11.14.05.05. 05 Tires and Wheels.. A. Tires.. Procedures:. Reject Vehicle If:. 1) Reference is made to Figures 2 and 3 for visual aid in determining tire wear. This inspection is visual. (a) Inspect for tire wear: (i) Tires without tread wear indicators. (ii) Tires with tread wear indicators. (iii) For cord exposure. (b) Inspect for tread cuts, snags, or sidewall cracks. (c) Inspect for lumps, bulges, or knots. (d) Inspect for fabric breaks and exposed or damaged body cords. This is from the Maryland state inspection guide. It says nothing about age. However there is no way I would be using tires that old.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to read THIS THREAD that I posted about tires that exploded.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:
If they are ST Tires they should be replaced after they are 3 years old or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. If they are LT tires--- 5 to 7 years....would be a good rule of thumb to change them out. Went through 2 sets of ST tires in 6 years and less than 20,000 miles. Now Running lT tires. Letting tires set in the sun daily will reduce their life.

replacing ST's after 10K miles???? GIVE ME A BREAK. I've run many many sets of ST's to 30-40K miles before they needed replacing because of tread wear!!! And yes, that was within 3-4 years. ST's are listed by most mfg as going by the same age rules as other tires as well 5-7 years.

I suspect that if you do some research on the life of St tires on a heavy 5th wheel you will find that I am very close to actual life of a typical ST tire

Carlisle St tires;
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
โ€“ 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,regardless of mileage.
โ€“ It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone.
โ€“ After three years, depending upon storage and conditions of usage, consider replacing trailer tires even if they have tread depth remaining.
โ€“ After five years, trailer tires should be replaced in all cases.

Lt tire makers say from 5-7 years.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sandy & Shirley wrote:
We took our 5er to the local RV dealer because a branch fell over the winter and cracked a vent cover. Currently fixed with duct tape!

He said he is an inspection station and will have to check the tires and read the sidewalls to see if they are too old and have to be replaced! Is this real or is he trying to rip me off! We live in Maryland and the tires look fine, plenty of tread and the sidewalls are in no way cracked.

Are you having it inspected? If not, tell him to pound sand!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
So does anyone know if MD requires trailer inspections and has a statute on tire age?

Without regard to all the advice on what to do, I think he is trying to rip you off.

you gotta find out what the state requirements are. :h

That's why I gave the phone number for the Maryland Motor Vehicle Agency, which is the governing authority for this.

FWIW, I used to get over 90k miles out of Michelin XCA 7.50-15 LT radials. That was 2 years of driving.
-- Chris Bryant

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Sandy & Shirley wrote:

Go online and find out what the state inspection requires. For tires contact the tire manufacturer and get info about tire age.
HR

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
So does anyone know if MD requires trailer inspections and has a statute on tire age?

Without regard to all the advice on what to do, I think he is trying to rip you off.

you gotta find out what the state requirements are. :h

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I had a scary experience with an old tire, I got back from a trip after I get some rest I'll give the lowdown