cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dont Buy Dometic Slide Toppers

roddm
Explorer
Explorer
my dometic slide topper quit retracting - upon disassembly I noticed the plastic gear/guide at the end of the torsion assembly on both sides was broken. I call the Dometic customer service line requesting a part number for this plastic piece and was informed that this piece is not for sale - you must buy the entire torsion assembly @~$90 each. When I inquired why they do not sell this plastic part Dometic Customer Service said "That's just the way it is" Has anyone hade this issue? if so what was your result. Unfortunately I have (6) of these toppers on my RV - But... will definitely replace with another brand and not a DUMTEIC Product! Any suggestion's on a reliable brand of slide toppers?
8 REPLIES 8

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m unaware of any plastic parts on those. I have had the cast zinc endcaps wear through- easy fix is to buy a bronze bushing at Ace and install it.

That said, Iโ€™m not very familiar with the newest styles.
-- Chris Bryant

roddm
Explorer
Explorer
I like the 3d printing idea, and no I will only replace the one that is broken with a new non-dometic slide topper.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You have the best answer and that is 3D printing.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
roddm wrote:
Unfortunately I have (6) of these toppers on my RV - But... will definitely replace with another brand and not a DUMTEIC Product! Any suggestion's on a reliable brand of slide toppers?

So...
Let me see if I understand what you're saying. You have 1 out of 6 slide toppers that has a problem, so instead of paying $90 to fix it, you're going spend a few thousand dollars to replace them all?

I certainly understand the frustration of having to buy a $90 assembly in order to fix a $2 part, but indeed, that's the way it is. Have you investigated whether or not the other manufacturers would make you go through the same process?
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
look on the unit see if theres a manufactures name. don,t no if dometic makes there on things or not.

THIS! Figure out who really made the unit that you have. I ran into a very similar problem with my old awning. I figured out that it was really made by Fiamma, and I could buy the small part from them that I needed instead of the whole assembly.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
roddm wrote:
my dometic slide topper quit retracting - upon disassembly I noticed the plastic gear/guide at the end of the torsion assembly on both sides was broken. I call the Dometic customer service line requesting a part number for this plastic piece and was informed that this piece is not for sale - you must buy the entire torsion assembly @~$90 each. When I inquired why they do not sell this plastic part Dometic Customer Service said "That's just the way it is" Has anyone hade this issue? if so what was your result. Unfortunately I have (6) of these toppers on my RV - But... will definitely replace with another brand and not a DUMTEIC Product! Any suggestion's on a reliable brand of slide toppers?

I've yet to have an issue with a Dumteic topper and have never heard of anyone having the issue you describe. I currently have two, and have had at least 10 others in the past.

You have two other choices, Carefree of Colorado or the total garbage LCI Solara. Pick your poison. No one is going to sell you a specific part if those specific parts are not available, and that applies to a slide topper, an appliance, your tow vehicle, almost everything. I'd buy the complete torsion assembly and be done with it.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
It is likely they buy the entire assembly from their supplier. They probably don't have a single gear to sell even if they wanted to. Have you tried going to your neighborhood Home Depot and see if they have a gear that will work? Next option search the internet for that size and number of teeth. Final option, since it is plastic it might be possible to have it 3D printed. These printers are becoming more widespread at places like The UPS store, FEDEX stores and the like. Have no idea of the cost but it is probably worth investigating.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
look on the unit see if theres a manufactures name. don,t no if dometic makes there on things or not.