cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ebike for a heavy rider?

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm 285 and want an ebike to cruise the campgrounds, trails and maybe a nearby town.

Anybody out there think what they have can help me out or maybe know of a fellow camper has what may work for me.

I've seen PLENTY advertised and reviewed, but I'm looking for real world suggestions.

Some of the things I've seen that appear to work well are mid-drive units that take advantage of the derailleur, fat tires seem nice, step through, 48v, NOT a built in or special designed battery that will not be in production in a few years...

What else should I be looking for and some suggestions please.

Thanks, Phil.
THANKS! Phil and LuAnn
1st timers, brought it home 2022-10-19.
1994 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye
M-T31-Ford-460, 1994 Ford E350
I may not know what I am doing, but I am having fun doing it!
20 REPLIES 20

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Samsonsworld wrote:
.. I will say a good 'regular' bike is a better investment. Cheaper and will last longer.
X2

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
We have Rad Power Bikes (City 5 Plus). They are great bikes but far too heavy to take with us. My Townie Electra 7 speed (non electric) is a far better choice to take with us. Lighter, comfortable ride with foot forward technology. The smaller, lighter electric bikes that I have seen would not be the answer for your size IMO. Even the bike linked above is 68lbs. That's a lot of bike to transport. Too much for me anyways.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Velowave 750w. Pretty decent ebike for the money. I was 240lbs when I got it. Carries me easily. I will say a good 'regular' bike is a better investment. Cheaper and will last longer.

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 260 and the Lectric 3.0 works great for me

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
My wife and I have the Aventon Level - original version and now they have the V2 version out. I am 6'4 and 280lbs and the bike is capable of 300lbs. It is a rear drive comes with a rear rack, fenders, etc... although we did buy aftermarket seats and the battery is removable. We take these with us all the time when we go camping and have about 1500 miles on them without any problems. They come in multiple frame sizes (S,M,L) as well as either step through or step over.

Keep in mind whatever you buy they will be heavier than your normal bike and would need a bike rack to support the additional weight. For that I bought the KAC K2 rack, they are not rated for RV usage though. When we take them camping we just store them inside.

If you have any other questions just let me know. Hope it helps

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
The new Lectric Cargo bike might be what you are looking for.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500